Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin Raid September 3, 1916

J. Carl

Attached is an article that appeared in the September 21, 1916 edition of the Walkerton (Ontario) Telescope. The article, as was common at that time, was a transcribed version of a letter sent from a soldier who was serving in England or France, to a relative. Many of these letters were published during the course of the Great War. This particular letter was from a son, C. Eric Robertson RFC, to his father, Norman Robertson. The letter describes the events of the Zeppelin raid of September 3, 1916.

I understand that this particular raid, and the Victoria Cross that was awarded as a result, was one of the best documented, most researched and most witnessed events of the war. I offer this account for the interest of forum members with the faint hope that this article may also provide some small bit of information that was not previously available.

Regards,

J. Carl

post-109991-0-91874900-1442363088_thumb.

Many thanks for posting the letter - it's always good to see a new account of a well-known incident. If they had Twitter back then I guess the shooting down of SL.11 would have been 'Trending'!!!

Thanks again.