Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Cowan Pte.1st Leinster Regt.

tony paley

I have returned today from a visit to my Irish cousins. I supplied details of our paternal grandfather military service, in the past no one seemed interested, things have changed over the last few years. My cousins sons have now asked me too look into their maternal grandfather and his brother.

Their details:- Grandfather was Private 9252 Frederick Cowan born Longford 1891 1st Leinster Regt. MIC shows 1914/15 Star, BWM,VM. served at Ypres, Salonika and Egypt.

Great Uncle:- Edward Cowan born Longford 1879 apparently had service in the South Wales Borderers in South Africa no further details. Emigrated to Canada where he enlisted as Private 123550 in the Canadian Army in September 1915 at Ontario, possibly the70th Btn. CEF. I would be very grateful for any information on these two Irish soldiers. A great deal of work has been carried out in Ireland over recent years, as often seen on this forum, I must add that it was very heartening to learn that my cousins sons were part of this. They were unaware of their Grandfather's and Great Uncles service until their details appeared on site set up in Co.Longford detailing the service of local men in the Great War.

Thanks in anticipation Tony P

Edward Cowan b 31/10/1879

Lived Courtright Ontario

Attested 17/9/1915

He gave his NOK as son James

He stated he was a widower supporting 6 children

Had a GSW to left shoulder previous service?

Hello

Edwards attestation papers do say that he enlisted into the 70th overseas Bn CEF, he is also on the South Africa medal roll as 6708 Pte E Cowan, 2nd Bn SWB, clasps Cape Colony, orange free state, and in the remarks it says 'invalided'.

Hope this helps

Dragoon

Frederick Cowan

Shown as L/Cpl enlisted 10/2/10 discharged 21/3/19 as surplus to military requirements although SWB Roll shows due to sickness

Thanks for the help, this will help me to provide some detail to their service.

Tony Paley

I have just returned from visiting family in Ireland. My cousin's sons, like many in Ireland, have taken an interest in the part played by their forebears in WW1. I had brought with me my grandfather's records etc. their maternal Gt.Grandad. To their surprise they had recently discovered that their paternal grandfather was a regular soldier. His details:- No 9252 Pte Frederick Cowan b. Longford 1891 who served with the 1st Leinster Regt. He was awarded the 1914/15 Star, British War Medal, and Victory medal. I have already started a post on another site but I thought the Irish connection may help on this section. I believe he enlisted in 1911. Thanks in anticipation.

Tony P

By posting here I feel you are complicating things. You have already had info on your other post in Soldiers. You are probably going to get some responses here from people who have taken their time to help you not knowing the info has already been given elsewhere on the forum.

Not just the attestation form - click the number to the right for his full service file

Not just the attestation form - click the number to the right for his full service file

They must have started adding those when they revamped the site last year. Part of me is now thinking, great, a new source of information \ way of validating other sources and another part is thinking, oh sugar, all those names I'm going to have to revisit :-),

Peter

They must have started adding those when they revamped the site last year. Part of me is now thinking, great, a new source of information \ way of validating other sources and another part is thinking, oh sugar, all those names I'm going to have to revisit :-),

Peter

It's gradual,

The digitization of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) service files is underway and a substantial number of digitized files have been added to our website as part of the Government of Canada First World War commemoration activities. We will add new files every two weeks, as the CEF digitization initiative is a priority for us. LAC will ensure that Canadians have access to the files throughout the digitization process, scheduled to be completed by the end of 2018.

As of today, 181,338 of 640,000 files are available in the database. Latest box digitized—box: #2490, name: Devos.

You may find files that are out of alphabetical order as they say they are over 25% - but only up to "D"