Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help badly needed.

mick1234

Hi all,

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can locate this map ref on a map please, 62c E 450 E 650 N. It is for a chap I am researching of where he was first buried before being moved into St Emilie Cemetery in 1918. A big thanks in advance,

Rgds

Mick

Unless it is using a map system other than the British trench maps it should look something like 57c.I.11.d.5.6

I have juggled about with it but it is not recognised by trench map converter.

Maybe it is shown differently for other men that were found and reburied?

I'm not familiar with that format either. 62c seems fine, if he ended up in Villers-Faucon in the NE square.

You could speculate that E 650 and N 450 could be measurements along the axes of the NE square, which would place you somewhere South of Villers-Faucon?

MapGrid62c.jpg

These are the other map refs on the same page, and they are like the ones you give an example of !. I do not understand why the one I am looking for is different.

M

post-38624-0-12867800-1442182522_thumb.j

Unfortunately the (CWGC) concentration sheet does not mention the date of map but the action my soldier was KIA was on 22nd March 1918.

Sorry Mick. Posts must have crossed . It was a question for IPT.

62c.e.15.c.3.8 is the same area as IPT has given.

post-99311-0-18105600-1442183475_thumb.j

Trench map converter says.......UGH UGH!

Format is :

[sheet Number]dot[letter]dot[number]dot[letter]dot[number]dot[number]

Anything else, Trenchcoverter gives you The Gulf of Guinea

The name of my guy is Lt Ulick Moore, 6th Bn Connaught Rangers. if it is of anymore help this is the only info I have on the circumstances of his KIA.(attd.)

post-38624-0-87604900-1442184688_thumb.j

Maybe a post in the Maps sub forum asking for a trench map of the area,preferably overlayed onto google earth?

Format is :

[sheet Number]dot[letter]dot[number {range 1-36}]dot[letter {range a-d}]dot[number range {either 0-9 or 00-99}]dot[number {range either 0-9 or 00-99} ]

62c e 4.5 c 6.5 The "4.5" is wrong. It must be an integer from 1-36

For example, the crossroads at Saint-Emilie, at the junction of the D101 and D24 is 62c.e.24.a.99.15

62c e 4.5 c 6.5 is a typo

In view of the other references in post #6, it probably should read 62c.e.15.c.6.5

Mick

You could play about with trench map converter. It does not work with IE, Chrome is fine,

Firefox os OK too.

How have you managed that?

Managed what?

To give the trench map reference for the crossroads? Is there another converter from Lat/Long to trench map?

To give the trench map reference for the crossroads? Is there another converter from Lat/Long to trench map?

Oh sorry, I didn't understand.

No. There isn't a reverse trench co-ordinates finder that I'm aware of, unless Linesman does it??

Such a gadget would be extremely useful.

No I just work it out from the the Mcmaster site to get the Sheet number first http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm,

then the Great War Trench Map Coordinates finder: http://rdf.muninn-project.org/TrenchCoordinates.html

To find a spot (eg the above crossroads-that I only gave as an example of a "correct" coorfinate format):

1) Find the Sheet number and enter it in GWTMCF followed by a [dot] eg 62c.

That will bring up the whole area of the map.

2) The Sheet map is divided into 24 squares (A-X) - 6 across by 4 down. Guesstimate which square it's in by trial and error. in this case it's "E", so now enter 62c.E (With NO DOT on the end!)

3) That square will be divided into 36 squares (1-36). The crossroads looks as though its around the end of the fourth row, so that's "24" 62.c.e.24

4) That square is subdivided into 4 (a-d), the crossroads is in the top left quarter, so it's "a" 62c.e.24.a

5) Then guesstimate the co-ordinates to get the right spot.

A little time consuming, but there we are.

The co-ordinate for the yellow cross above I make 62c.f.19.a.4.9

What is the Date of the reburial? if it is post WW2 it looks as if someone has attempted to apply a NATO 6figure Grid reference to a ww1 trench map unless by some strange coincidence the sheet numbering is the same.

Isn't the grid ref in the OP a 'French Lambert conformal conic projection'. :whistle:

This post has another query on the same subject and a map which uses this system, (sadly, not for 450/650).

I tried to find a way to convert Lambert to Lat/Long and failed. There are I think 4 other variables needed for conversion which depends on the map being used.

TEW