Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain A. H. Wilkie 1st King's Royal Rifle Corps

macmacmac

1914 Second Lieutenant A. H. Wilkie 1st King's Royal Rifle Corps (60th rifles)

and later 1914 Captain / QM

and on to Major A. H. Wilkie ( author)

looking for anymore info on A. H. Wilkie eg when he enlisted

Thanks

According to the November 1917 and October 1918 Quarterly Army Lists Major Archibald Hanning Wilkie:

Served in the Mobilized Special Reserve for 25 days.

Commissioned 2nd Lieut, KRRC on 20 Aug 14

ADC from 13 Nov 14 to 27 Jun 15

Appointed Temp. Lieut, KRRC from 13 Jan 15 to 8 May 15

Promoted Lieutenant, KRRC on 9 May 15

From 28 Jun 15 to 2 Jul 16 he was GSO 3

Appointed Temp. Captain, KRRC from 8 Jun 16 to 31 Dec 16

From 3 Jul 16 to 6 May 18 he was a Staff Captain

Promoted Captain, KRRC on 1 Jan 17

Appointed DAAG on 7 May 18

Appointed Temp. Major on 7 May 18

Archibald Hanning WILKIE.

Born 02 Sep 1889.

Son of William Wilkie.

Ormiston House, Kirknewton, Midlothian, and 1 Ainslie Place, Edinburgh.

Marlborough (left 1903); Fettes (1904-1907); Magdalen College, Oxford (1907-09) where he read Chemistry.

Commissioned into KRRC Special Reserve as 2/Lt effective 19 Feb 1913. See above for rest of military career.

War service in France and Italy. MiD 1917 and 1919. [Edit: 1914 KRRC Chronicle states MiD 17 Sep 1914 - haven't checked LG myself though]

Married in Q1 1915 May P. Cooper and thereby became son-in-law to Sir George Cooper (a very wealthy lawyer and another Scot) of Hursley Park, Winchester, who hosted camps for many battalions on his estate in the War - including 18/KRRC, 2/RB and 16/RB - and a hospital for officers in the main house.

Edited by MBrockway

Thanks Mbrockway

Looks like the trunk is from WW1

it was the 60th rifles that confused me ( changed name around 1850 ) still used as a nickname ?

He prob had the trunk when he was Commissioned into KRRC Special Reserve as 2/Lt effective 19 Feb 1913.

will have to read his books

(Married in Q1 1915 May P. Cooper and thereby became son-in-law to Sir George Cooper (a very wealthy lawyer and another Scot) of Hursley Park, Winchester, who hosted camps for many battalions on his estate in the War - including 18/KRRC, 2/RB and 16/RB - and a hospital for officers in the main house).

The same Sir George Cooper born Elgin Moray ( Elgin is is where i live)

Thanks again

To continue his career:-

Relinquished the appointment of D.A.A.G. and temp. rank of Major 9.6.1919

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31408/page/7788

Restored to the establishment of the K.R.R.C. 4.2.1920

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31766/supplement/1519

Resigned his commission 27.8.1920

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32031/supplement/8782

and to be Major, same date - see page 8784 of this gazette issue

Ceased to belong to the Reserve of Officers 2.9.1939

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34728/supplement/7561

He died at Cantray House, Croy Inverness on 20.6.1977 [Announcement in The Times 22.6.1977]

1914 Second Lieutenant A. H. Wilkie 1st King's Royal Rifle Corps (60th rifles)

and later 1914 Captain / QM

and on to Major A. H. Wilkie ( author)

Thanks Mbrockway

Looks like the trunk is from WW1

it was the 60th rifles that confused me ( changed name around 1850 ) still used as a nickname ?

He prob had the trunk when he was Commissioned into KRRC Special Reserve as 2/Lt effective 19 Feb 1913.

will have to read his books

(Married in Q1 1915 May P. Cooper and thereby became son-in-law to Sir George Cooper (a very wealthy lawyer and another Scot) of Hursley Park, Winchester, who hosted camps for many battalions on his estate in the War - including 18/KRRC, 2/RB and 16/RB - and a hospital for officers in the main house).

The same Sir George Cooper born Elgin Moray ( Elgin is is where i live)

Thanks again

Which books are they?

The only book I've identified with an author A.H. Wilkie is the War History of the Wellington Mounted Rifles Regiment 1914-1919 by Major A.H. Wilkie, published in New Zealand in 1924.

However this is Major Alexander Herbert Wilkie who served in the WMR, not our Archibald Hanning Wilkie, KRRC.

All other searching has so far failed to turn up his books. Did he use a pen name?

Re: 60th Rifles - apologies, I think we all took it for granted you'd already be aware the 60th was the KRR's. Easy to assume this is well known for such a famous regiment! But indeed why would it be? :thumbsup:

Sir George Cooper was a well known philanthropist (typical Scot in the mould of Andrew Carnegie) and did much good work around Elgin as well as Hampshire.

If Wilkie died in Croy, it looks like he returned to his wife's native area.

Do you have any idea what he did after his War Service?

I found this snippet from August 1919 in the New Zealand papers, but it's in a column of social tittle-tattle from London, so I doubt if we can infer any presence of the family in NZ ...

post-20192-0-69066300-1441705697_thumb.p

The only book I've identified with an author A.H. Wilkie is the War History of the Wellington Mounted Rifles Regiment 1914-1919 by Major A.H. Wilkie, published in New Zealand in 1924.

However this is Major Alexander Herbert Wilkie who served in the WMR, not our Archibald Hanning Wilkie, KRRC.

ok books are not by our Archibald Hanning Wilkie, KRRC

sorry i have any idea what he did after his War Service

There are three Incoming Passenger records to the U.K. for Archibald Hanning Wilkie and his wife, May Phebe.

Returning to Southampton from Cape Town in March 1950 - he gave his occupation as 'farmer' and address as Wooley [should be Woodley] Green, Romsey.

Ditto in April 1959 when again he gave his occupation as 'farmer' but the address was Cantray House, Croy.

Ditto in April 1960 when he gave his occupation as 'Lt.-Col. Ret'd.' and address as Cantray House, Croy.

• 1 month later...
On 08/09/2015 at 01:09, MBrockway said:

Nice provenance for your portmanteau : Wilkie's trunk

Surprise surprise - this portmanteau is now listed on fleaBay by a seller in Elgin.

Complete with this description ...

"WW1 Portmanteau, Trunk King's Royal Rifle Corps‏‏

made by Irving Brothers, victorian makers

Major Archibald Hanning Wilkie Born 02 Sep 1889.

1918 Quarterly Army Lists Major Archibald Hanning Wilkie

Commissioned 2nd Lieut, KRRC on 20 Aug 14

ADC from 13 Nov 14 to 27 Jun 15

Appointed Temp. Lieut, KRRC from 13 Jan 15 to 8 May 15

Promoted Lieutenant, KRRC on 9 May 1915

From 28 Jun 15 to 2 Jul 1916 he was GSO 3

Appointed Temp. Captain, KRRC from 8 Jun 16 to 31 Dec 1916

From 3 Jul 16 to 6 May 1918 he was a Staff Captain ,

Promoted Captain, KRRC on 1 Jan 1917 ,

Appointed DAAG on 7 May 1918 ,

Appointed Temp. Major on 7 May 1918 "

The section in green is cut and pasted directly from Dick's material in Post #2 above - no attempt to re-word :blink:

Starting price currently is £85, but it's been relisted several times since mid September when he put it on with a Buy It Now of £155!

I wonder if we'll be getting a cut for our research inputs?

I have noted this "Pal" @macmacmac and will be watching for his future posts. He can soon re-register here under a new name I guess, but he trades on fleaBay as 'nians'. He'll be less keen to set up a new fleaBay ID and wave goodbye to his 12 years' of Feedback.History.

Nothing technically wrong with milking us for extra provenance material of course, but could you live with yourself being so blatant as this? Ho hum! :hypocrite:

Edited by MBrockway

was another member who consistently asked about photographs :whistle:

He's just re-listed Wilkie's trunk ... down to £75 now :w00t:

That's less than half of what he originally wanted - shame :blush:

Still no acknowledgement of our help.

• 1 month later...

Our friend has finally (as of 23 Nov) managed to dispose of Capt Wilkie's trunk.

After many weeks of dropping his asking price, he finally accepted a Best Offer. Probably a good bit less than the £155 he originally hoped for, but as it was a Best Offer, we'll never know. He was still asking £75 as a starting price so it'd deffo be less than that!.

Can't wait for his next request for free research to up-value one of his house clearance lots :whistle:

Returning to Southampton from Cape Town in March 1950 - he gave his occupation as 'farmer' and address as Wooley [should be Woodley] Green, Romsey.

Just for the record I can say that from personal knowledge the Wilkies lived at Woolley Green which is between Lower Slackstead & Pucknall in Hursley parish, and not Woodley which is between Romsey & Ampfield

Richard

Can't wait for his next request for free research to up-value one of his house clearance lots :whistle:

Oh dear dear me :ph34r:

• 1 year later...

Just to add some information on Wilkie uncovered in this other topic here.

1/KRRC war diary has a "Mr C. H. Wilkie" returning immediately to hospital in England with appendicitis when the battalion first landed in Rouen on 13 Aug 1914.

The same war diary uses the term "Mr" for a subaltern two pages further on, so in all probability this is a typo for 2/Lt A.H. Wilkie, 1/KRRC.

Whether Wilkie had full-blown appendicitis or not, he seems to have recovered speedily as he is Mentioned in Despatches in the LG Issue 28942 16 Oct 1914, Second Supplement, page 8356, which appears to point to actions prior to French's First Despatch dated 07 Sep 1914.

See the arguments on this laid out here:

Between 13 Nov 1914 and 27 Jun 1915, Wilkie was ADC to the Commander, Portland Defences followed 28 Jun 1915 to 02 Jul 1916 by a spell as GSO III to the Portland Garrison.  In other words Wilkie spent 20 months plus on Home Service immediately after these major battles.

It might be possible that he may have stayed in Blighty after his appendicitis and that his 1914 MiD was related to some action in Blighty, but IMHO this is less likely than Wilkie returning to 1/KRRC and taking part in the Mons and La Cateau actions with the battalion.  His appendicitis in Aug 1914 may of course have been a false alarm.  Certainly an appendectomy in 1914 was major surgery and I cannot see him being A1 fighting fit again within three weeks!

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

• 1 year later...

Oh dear, 

This gentleman asked for information on a death plaque and low and behold once they gained information from members here the plaque turns up on E-Bay. As per the case in this thread. What a disgrace, be open about it, people still might help.

Andy

And in case anyone is trying to find his McCurrach Death Plaque topic, it has now disappeared, deleted either by himself or the Mods.

We'll see if this one suffers the same fate  :innocent:

Thanks for the update on this thread about the memorial plaque. Yes, unsavoury behaviour really. He put something on his thread about enjoying the research but obviously not to the point of being offered a lead to research another George McCurrach, 1st Black Watch, killed October 1914. I opened another thread on it because I couldnt find his original one fo further any discussion with him. I thought he would have been chuffed to get another local chap as a potential candidate for the plaque he has but obviously not.

• 1 year later...

On 08/09/2015 at 02:05, MBrockway said:

Archibald Hanning WILKIE.
Born 02 Sep 1889.
Son of William Wilkie.
Ormiston House, Kirknewton, Midlothian, and 1 Ainslie Place, Edinburgh.

Marlborough (left 1903); Fettes (1904-1907); Magdalen College, Oxford (1907-09) where he read Chemistry.

Commissioned into KRRC Special Reserve as 2/Lt effective 19 Feb 1913. See above for rest of military career.

War service in France and Italy. MiD 1917 and 1919. [Edit: 1914 KRRC Chronicle states MiD 17 Sep 1914 - haven't checked LG myself though]

Married in Q1 1915 May P. Cooper and thereby became son-in-law to Sir George Cooper (a very wealthy lawyer and another Scot) of Hursley Park, Winchester, who hosted camps for many battalions on his estate in the War - including 18/KRRC, 2/RB and 16/RB - and a hospital for officers in the main house.

A further update on Archibald Wilkie's school career - he also appears in the Charterhouse Register entering and leaving in the same term: Oration Quarter [=Autumn term] 1903 . 

His house was Weekites.

Mark

• 1 year later...

Hi @BairdC and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately WW2 isn't covered here - you might want to try our equivalent http://ww2talk.com/index.php

But a brief answer you are almost certainly looking at an award for hand grenades - and in the early days of the Local Defence Volunteers \ Home Guard many of these were improvised, (Molotov cocktails and homemade "sticky bombs" were popular) and as likely to kill or wound the thrower as the intended target. So the award could be for accuracy and consistancy of throwing, or it could be for design.

Good luck with your search and if you have any queries about Captain Wilkies' service in the Great War please come back.

Cheers,
Peter

• Admin
On 23/10/2021 at 09:57, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. WW2 falls out of our remit, as we deal with WW1 only. I suggest that you post your query on ww2talk.com

Michelle 

As posted by me yesterday.