Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Map

tobymac

Hi, Can anyone help me with this map? ref. Soissons 33 179-9 x 286-1. this is where my great uncle was found by Graves Registration, then reburied at Raperie british cemetary. I have written the ref no. exactly as it appears on the Exhumation form. Any help greatly appreciated.

I looked at it and it still does not look right. Nothing comes up on the trench map converter. You could maybe look at other concentration records to see if they are the same.

As the form is overstamped around Nov 1920 could the reference be of a non trench map type. I'm sure late in the war the USA were using another referencing system or is this some new European system?

Search forum for 'US using French' and you'll find the answer. French Map refs.

I would do a link but IPad beats me at that one!!!

TEW

As a last resort you might be able to find the cemetary he was recovered from by looking at how many men have the same reference. Then go to CGWC record for him, page down and click on history where you will find numbers given showing how many men from each location.

With the aid of Linesman, I've attached a map snippet from Map 'France Edition 1, Sheet 75 N.W.' showing part of Soissons.

Square 33 is just to the WNW of Soissons, so this may be of help.

post-87018-0-88924800-1441547093_thumb.j

I do not have time right now to check, but it looks like French (Lambert) co-ordinates, I will look up some French maps later.

Howard

Again with the aid of Linesman, I merged Sheet 75 N.W. with Sheet 75 S.W., to give a better 'picture' of Soissons.

Hope this helps.

post-87018-0-33856400-1441548575_thumb.j

I've found online Lambert to Lat/Long converters but I keep ending up in the Bay of Biscay!!!!

There are different Lambert projections, once a location is settled on we'll know which one is used for future use.

TEW

Soissons 33 is a 1:80,000 scale Franco-British general map (not a trench map). However, the references should be the same as on French trench maps and, so (at a guess...working this from a map with references to a fragment I have that doesn't), should roughly place the location as being somewhere between Parcy and Tigny (about 6 or 7 miles due south(ish) of Soissons)..... square 3131 on German 1918 trench maps of the area, if that's any help!

Dave.

French trench-map extract from May 1918...

post-357-0-21406600-1441566873_thumb.jpg

Nice one Howard. Is it possible to give Lat and Long?

I have not geo-referenced that map but an approximation is to draw two lines that cross at the point then the same lines on Google Earth (using Add Polygon with only two points).

You may find better points. OK it is not that accurate but it gets you to the right field.

If you are patient, you can get the rough lat/long of two map corners then add the map as an overlay on Google Earth, then adjust until it fits.

Howard

post-991-0-79763600-1441577003_thumb.jpg post-991-0-16357200-1441577015_thumb.jpg

I've found online Lambert to Lat/Long converters but I keep ending up in the Bay of Biscay!!!!

There are different Lambert projections, once a location is settled on we'll know which one is used for future use.

TEW

If you have any of the WFA Mapping the Front DVDs, there is a set of index maps. One of those, index08.jpg, shows the Lambert grid in relation to British (Bonne) trench map grid.

I think it is similar to the IGN Lambert Conformal Conic

Latitude 1= 48 35.9144 N

Latitude 2= 50 23.7547 N

Central Meridian= 2 20.8111 E

Origin Latitude= 49 30.00 (France Lambert Zone 1)

Howard

From CWGC

BILLY-SUR-OURCQ CHURCHYARD, which contained the graves of five soldiers.

BILLY-SUR-OURCQ COMMUNAL CEMETERY, which contained the graves of three soldiers​

Both are shown on the map in the link given by Phil post #15

Looks like both have been lost.

If you download this Google Earth file, it shows the map above geo-referenced. You can change the transparency in the side bar to compare map with GE. It shows the point close to the approximate crossed lines position.

As usual with these maps, it fits where it touches.

Howard

Just seen all these posts. You guys are amazing. It never ceases to amaze me how all of you are so willing to be helpful. I had run into a brick wall with the coordinates. Now next month i can pinpoint where my G.uncle was found.

Thanks everybody.

john

Just seen all these posts. You guys are amazing. It never ceases to amaze me how all of you are so willing to be helpful. I had run into a brick wall with the coordinates. Now next month i can pinpoint where my G.uncle was found.

Thanks everybody.

john

Does the place match with other clues? The grid ref had to be French as it off the bottom of the British grid system.

I ask as I have seen French refs written in various ways, sometimes even back to front so linking to other clues is vital to be sure you have the right place.

Howard

• 11 months later...

Can anyone post a contact/reference that would allow me to check WW1 French Military Map references?

I have a reference for an initial burial site from which a great uncle was moved to a Compilation Cemetery at Marfaux near Reims.

The original site reference I have is 217 2 271 4. I (capital letter i )

Steve