Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aubrey Cecil HATFEILD

Perth Digger

Does anyone have any information on the war career of the above RFC officer (nb the spelling of the surname). He got his flying certificate on 26 Jan 1916 and was 2/Lt Special Reserve. He came from a prominent family in Margate. A local Kent newspaper reported (13 Oct 1917) that he was missing, but he obviously survived the war. POW or got back safely? I do not know which squadron he was in.

Thanks

Mike

British Officers taken Prisoner of War 1914-1918

First name(s): A.C.

Last name: Hatfield (sic)

Regiment: Royal Air Force

Date missing: 20/09/1917

Repatriated: 13/12/1918

JP

Capt Aubrey Cecil Hatfeild and 2Lt R R Magregor 101 sqn left Clairmarais South at 3.32am 21.9.1917 in FE2b A5672 on a bombing raid over Roulers, hit by ground machine gunfire, crashed Courtrai both POW. Capt, Hatfeild had earlier served with No's 1 and 7 sqns in 1916. taken from "The Sky Their Battlefild 2 " Trevor Henshaw's excellent book.

Just to confirm the Margate connection and spelling...

HATFEILD, CHARLES ERIC. Rank: Captain. Date of Death: 21/09/1918. Age: 31.
Regiment/Service: The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) 10th (R. East Kent and West Kent Yeomanry) Bn. Awards:M C
Grave Reference: C. 11. Cemetery: HARGICOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION.
Additional Information: Son of M. H. S. Hatfeild, of Hartsdown, Margate, and the late Capt. C. T. Hatfeild (King''s Dragoon Guards).

Capt Aubrey Cecil Hatfeild and 2Lt R R Magregor 101 sqn left Clairmarais South at 3.32am 21.9.1917 in FE2b A5672 on a bombing raid over Roulers, hit by ground machine gunfire, crashed Courtrai both POW. Capt, Hatfeild had earlier served with No's 1 and 7 sqns in 1916. taken from "The Sky Their Battlefild 2 " Trevor Henshaw's excellent book.

Thanks for the reference to my book Skyraider! All helps to make the world go round!

Best regards,

Trevor

The Hatfeild family was indeed prominent in Margate. A ward at Q.E.Q.M.Hospital, originally Margate Hospital, had their name until the 1990s.

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for that. Yes, a very prominent family, the mother especially, I believe she was the first Lady Mayor of Margate and was on numerous committees throughout Kent.

Mike

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Even later to reply to you, Hatfeildbaby. Are you still on the site? I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Mike

• Admin
1 hour ago, Perth Digger said:

Even later to reply to you, Hatfeildbaby. Are you still on the site? I'd be very interested to hear from you.

Mike

Mike

Not been back since the one post, suggest you send a PM as that will alert them by email (hopefully!)

David