Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wreck of SMS Lützow located

trajan

"Stunning 3D scans show final North Sea resting place of German flagship that was scuttled by the British Navy during 1916 Battle of Jutland"

Apologies if this has already been posted but couldn't see anything relevant...

See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3219894/FOUND-Stunning-3D-scans-final-North-Sea-resting-place-German-flagship-scuttled-British-Navy-1916-Battle-Jutland.html

Trajan

EDIT: Needless to say? Yes, of course it is full of mistakes! Even I can see that and I am no naval buff (or buffer, for that matter!)...

I think they chose 'scuttled' because 'critically damaged' had too many syllables... :D

I think they chose 'scuttled' because 'critically damaged' had too many syllables... :D

Too true, they cover ww1 and ww2 stories that others don't but even for a newspaper the facts are usually horrendously wrong.

Craig

Scuttle after suffering so many hits certainly sounds better than blowing up with a single hit. You got to face up the fact German battlecruisers were a much better design then their British counterparts. One designed to hunt down cruisers while the other to scout for the fleet then fall into the battle-line and slug it out with the battleships.

Scuttle after suffering so many hits certainly sounds better than blowing up with a single hit. You got to face up the fact German battlecruisers were a much better design then their British counterparts. One designed to hunt down cruisers while the other to scout for the fleet then fall into the battle-line and slug it out with the battleships.

Yes RN Battle Cruisers not really protected enough for a slogging match but there may have been unsafe practices in the Magazines, Handling Rooms and Gun Houses to facilitate a higher rate of fire, that contributed to the three at Jutland going down with Flags Blazing and Guns Flying.

HMS Hood, in 1941, suffered a similer fate but she did have a 12'' Armourd Belt to cover her vital spaces so probably sunk by an unlucky shell that found a chink in her Armour.

My Grandfathers comment on the Battle of Jutland was 'We had the best polished watertight doors of any fleet in the world".

Luckily for me he was HMS Cochrane, which I believe never fired ma shot during the whole battle.

It's sadly ironic that Lutzow may well have been doomed by the ship that possibly shot best in the whole action. Before herself blowing up, Invincible had made 8 hits with 48 rounds, probably 5 of them wrecking Lutzow's forward bulkheads. It was the wildly-varying visibility that abruptly exposed her to fatal counterfire from Hipper's ships.

Regards,

MikB