Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Police and Sanitary Sections RAMC

Terry_Reeves

ACI 1337, 1917 para 1, has this to say about Military Police armlets:

"The Military Police Armlet (MP) is only to be worn by the Military Police and personnel of Sanitary Sections of the Royal Army Medical Corps when actually on duty."

It is the RAMC Sanitary Section that intrigues me. It would seem that they required some sort of authority to carry out their duties but for the life of me I cannot see why.

Answers on a postcard, or even on a toilet roll would be appreciated.

TR

Enforcing the cutting off of contaminated water.? The dumping of human waste? Disposal instrucions for bodies of men and animals?

I'd be thinking along the same lines as John - perhaps it was a way of giving them a bit power to enforce sanitary controls without having to call for the military police or a senior officer each time to assist.

Craig

Johnboy and Craig

Thanks for your contributions,that was my first line of thought, but I find it odd that if any authority were needed it would have come from an orderly officer for instance.

All contributions welcome.

TR

Maybe to be able to carryout billet inspections? To enforce isolation of men with contagious diseases?

I think Craig is on the right lines. They would otherwise have no power to give orders/instructions to those senior to them, whereas it is likely that if their instructions were disobeyed, those responsible could be disciplined under the Army Act or King's Regulations, and would not be able to claim that they were not aware of the man's status and authority.

Civilian policemen used to wear black and white armbands to show that they were on duty, possibly for a similar reason.

Ron

This from the Forum, 2006:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66062

"The Regimental Sanitary Police are detailed from the strength of the unit, and are vested with the authority of military police for the better performance of their duties. They are under the Regimental Quartermaster for their employment, but the Medical Officer will direct their efforts from the sanitary point of view."