Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI coast watch observation post - Gallan Head / Aird Uig

mbriscoe

I was over on Lewis recently to take some pictures of the old RAF Aird Uig ROTOR radar station and comms site.

I was told of an older structure on Gallan Head so we walked over to look at it. I was told that by local tradition it was a WWI or WWII observation post but was puzzled because there is not the usual 'window' or other aperture to look through.

I asked around and it was suggested that it was something similar to the Colby Camps but experts on these say not and no survey point in that area.

I was then told that there are several on Orkney that had been thought to be WWII.

Then English Heritage sent me pictures of something similar in Pembrokeshire which has several names scratched on rocks that identify it as WWI and RN. Now heard there is anothe (octagonal) ruined one in Pembrokeshire.

It has got me wondering if there are more around that have been misidentified?

MB

Very interesting photographs and post MB,

I have often wondered what was the normal establishment in numbers to keep a coast watch post manned by night and day,

khaki

Very interesting photographs and post MB,

I have often wondered what was the normal establishment in numbers to keep a coast watch post manned by night and day,

khaki

If you read the book on St Kilda, they seemed to manage with a handful of people. I don't think they would normally maintain a watch at night though perhaps they might if bright moonlight.

Defending St Kilda

Ron Morris

978-1907443411

Though someone told me the two chaps who manned the local Observer Corps aircraft post used to take their fishing roads and go and do a bit of poaching in the river nearby during the night - they went around and give anyone with husband away in the forces got it free next day.

Thanks MB for the reply and the book link, I will try and get a copy, in my boyhood days I would often explore coastal defense sites including observation posts which I am guessing may have held about four men. I do recall that one I examined was a concrete reinforced construction with a long top hinged iron shutter window (may have been WW2). Although long out of use I remember that it still had metal cots in it with mattresses on them. Looking at them through the door was about as far as I got as it did not appear very sanitary.

I would have thought that coastal watches would especially have been important at night, looking out for lights and surfaced submarines?

thanks

khaki

Thanks MB for the reply and the book link, I will try and get a copy, in my boyhood days I would often explore coastal defense sites including observation posts which I am guessing may have held about four men. I do recall that one I examined was a concrete reinforced construction with a long top hinged iron shutter window (may have been WW2). Although long out of use I remember that it still had metal cots in it with mattresses on them. Looking at them through the door was about as far as I got as it did not appear very sanitary.

I would have thought that coastal watches would especially have been important at night, looking out for lights and surfaced submarines?

thanks

khaki

Probably a good chance of spotting a surfaced submarine on a moonlit night especially with the lookout post not looking like a coastal lookout, There are lots of reports of U-Boats being seen doing repairs, getting food supplies etc in remote areas though many are probably apocryphal!