Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial German Bayonets

motojosh

One hell of a find Motojosh, some seriously nice batonets you have there :)

Think I need to move to USA ;)

I was thinking that too...

Thats a great find motojosh - I have never seen one of those in my life. I think the condition is appropriate - its clearly seen a huge amount of use over its lifetime - potentially 45+ yrs of use between the Franco-Prussian war and WW1. Are there any unit markings on the bayonet?

cheers, J

Thanks jscott! It's got a unit marking that was partially removed when the original cross guard was ground off. Looks to be 87.L.I.7.?.? 87th Landwehr Regiment 1st Battalion.

20150927_222811.jpg

"You have some excellent bayonets - thanks for sharing."

Thanks for the comment Michael!

Like I said before, you know your literature! Somehow missed or forgot about those ones in Noll and Williams.

Now, that Chassepot... Nice one, but... Slippery slope there, mate - there are, what, over 150 variants of Ersatz and Ersaoc and adapted captures? Take care!!!

Best,

Julian

Thank you! Oh boy I don't think I would even want to try and attempt to get all the different ersatz varieties lol. I'm mainly trying to focus on the foreign modified ersatz and unit marked bayonets right now.

Thank you! A lot of my bayonets actually come out of Europe though including this one.

• 4 weeks later...

The reason I believe these markings to be internal unit Kompagnie markings, is that they are often found on weaponry that were NEVER used by any Kurassier Regimenter.

For example is there any evidence that Kurassier Regiment's used the Gew98 rifle with the long S98 quillback bayonet attached. My example posted is from such a scabbard.

Hi SS,

Well, yes and no to this... If you look at Jackson's book, there on p.110, he lists for the Kgl.Bayer.8.Chevaulegers-Regiment two examples of S.98 a.A. bayonets and two S.98 scabbards as unit marked (different Esk. and Waffe numbers so total of four specimens of S.98), and so it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that they went to Kurassier units also... In which case your frog-stud marking "8.K.85" illustrated in post no.11 could be for the 8.Kurassier Regiment (Stab) Waffe 85.

Congratulations! it seems that you might have a rare piece there, representing an S.98 issued to a Kurassier unit! Their history, BTW, is outlined at: http://www.8thkurassier.com/?page_id=2

TTFN,

Trajan

For example is there any evidence that Kurassier Regiment's used the Gew98 rifle with the long S98 quillback bayonet attached. My example posted is from such a scabbard.

Well, yes and no to this...

I have just been looking at the Pr.Kriegsministerium order Nr.1769/14, of 22 Dec.1914, which indicates that reserve units of cavalry were certainly supplied with Gew.98 and fixable bayonets for these, so as S.98 were certainly issued to Bavarian 'Heavy Cavalry', then it follows that in addition to these reserve units and the Bavarian Chevaulegers, other cavalry units probably got them too... And so issue to Kurrasiers is no longer such an improbable idea...