Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Digital Books and Journals: British Library

MaureenE

The British Library has a number of digitized books. As far as I am aware, the only access is through the Main Catalogue Search. I have not seen them documented anywhere. There appear to be quite a number relevant to the Great War period.

Either search for a specific title, or use more general search terms such as

Regimental histories

Journals World War

World War 1914-1918

Then on the left hand side of the webpage screen, click on the option 'Refine my results/Access Options: Online'. A further option is English language. You can sort the results by date-oldest

For a relevant tile, select the option “I want this”, which then has the link to the digital file.

Many of the files are simply called digital files., although there are some other formats. I have found they may be quite slow to open, and you may to try a few times, but eventually they do open. For a larger book image, close the 'Contents' and 'More information' sections.

This is the Catalogue search link.

http://explore.bl.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?dscnt=1&dstmp=1327320208246&vid=BLVU1&fromLogin=true

An example:

The 74th (Yeomanry) Division in Syria and France by Major C. H. Dudley Ward 1922

Cheers

Maureen

Very good, thanks.

Thanks Maureen, I have a hard time navigating the site but there are definitely some gems; the Hunter-Weston diaries in particular.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Some of the digitised volumes noted today. No particular order. Copied from the catalogue Search results

The Coldstream Guards, 1914-1918. By ... Sir John Ross-of-Bladensburg. [With a volume of maps, and with a portrait of the author.] Digital file is Maps volume. Great Britain. Army. Coldstream Guards. London : Oxford University Press, 1928.

A Brief History of the 30th Division from its reconstitution in July, 1918, to the Armistice, 11th Nov., 1918. [With two sketch maps.] Great Britain. Army. Division, 30th. London : War Narratives Publishing Co., 1919.

A Short History of the Royal Warwickshire Regt. [With a coloured plate of uniforms.] Great Britain. Army. Royal Warwickshire Regiment. London : Gale & Polden, 1921

A Short History of The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment). Great Britain. Army. Infantry. Regiments. Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) London : Gale & Polden, 1920.

History of the 9th Service Battalion. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Great Britain. Army. Infantry. Regiments. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. [1915]

Officers Mess Plate. 3rd Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. [With roll of commanding officers. Two sheets. Great Britain. Army. Infantry. Regiments. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. [1918]

A Short History of the Royal Irish Regiment. [With a colour-plate of uniforms.] Great Britain. Army. Infantry. Regiments. Royal Irish Regiment. London : Gale & Polden, 1921.

A Diary of the First-Fourth Battalion The Buffs ... 1914-1919. Great Britain. Army. Infantry. Regiments. The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). 1/4th Battalion. [1925?]

The West Riding Territorials in the Great War ... By Laurie Magnus. Fully illustrated. Great Britain. Army. Division, 49th. London : Kegan Paul & Co., 1920.

The History of the 62nd [amalgamated with the 49th] - West Riding - Division, 1914-1919. By Everard Wyrall, etc. Great Britain. Army. Division, 49th. London : John Lane, [1924-25]

A Brief History of the Royal Highland Regiment ... By John Stewart ... New edition, containing a record of the Great WarGreat Britain. Army. Infantry. Regiments. Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) Edinburgh, 1924.

The 2nd Munsters in France. By Lieutenant-Colonel H. S. Jervis, etc. [With maps.] Great Britain. Army. Infantry. Regiments. Royal Munster Fusiliers. Aldershot : Gale & Polden, 1922.

The Story of the 55th, West Lancashire Division. By the Rev. J. O. Coop. [With maps.] Great Britain. Army. Division, 55th (West Lancashire) pp. 184. “Daily Post”: Liverpool, 1919. 

History of the 17th - Northern - Division. By A. Hilliard Atteridge. [With a map.] Great Britain. Army. Division, 17th (Northern) Glasgow, 1929.

The 18th Division in the Great War. By G. H. F. Nichols. [With plates and maps.] Great Britain. Army. Division, 18th. Edinburgh ; London : W. Blackwood & Sons, 1922.

The History of the Twentieth (Light) Division. By Captain V. E. Inglefield, etc. [With plates and maps.] Great Britain. Army. Division, 20th. London : Nisbet & Co., 1921.

History of the 40th Division. By Lieut.-Col. F. E. Whitton. [With plates and maps.] Great Britain. Army. Division, 40th. Aldershot : Gale & Polden, 1926.

The searchlight : the unofficial organ of the Forth Inner Defences. North Queensferry : [s.n.], 1914-1916.

The "Switchboard." Great Britain. Army. British Expeditionary Force. In the Field-B.E.F. : British Expeditionary Force 191?

The kit-bag. Bristol, England : 2nd Southern General Hospital, 1916-

Kamp knews. Great Britain. Army. Royal Field Artillery. West Lancashire Brigade, 3rd. Lark Hill Camp, 1914-

The 9th D.C.L.I. annual. Great Britain. Army. Infantry. Regiments. Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. 9th Battalion. Falmouth, 1914-

The East African Force, 1915-1919 ... By Brigadier-General C. P. Fendall ... With ... photographs and a map. Great Britain. Army. East African Force. London : H. F. & G. Witherby, 1921.

There were many more

Cheers

Maureen

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the list - this is very helpful indeed. I've stumbled upon these before and can't work out why they make them so hard to find.

John