Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1890 Gewehr 88

CollectWW1

About 3 months ago I found this Gewehr 88 at a flea-market for a whopping $40 (25 British Pounds)! I hurriedly purchased it before the seller could change his mind. I figured it was a wall-hanger due to its price and I was delighted when it dry-fired (I know that this is damaging but I figured it wasn't all there). It seems to be all there save the cleaning-rod. I don't have a picture of the markings on the breach but I have just about all the other markings. On the breach it reads:

SPANDAU

<Imperial crown>

"S"

Does anyone have any idea if it would have been used or shed any light on the markings? How much do these things usually go for?

http://imgur.com/a/jXxnC

That's a nice one.....In original Gewehr 1888 configuration too, rather than converted at a later date for use with ammunition chargers, rather than the en bloc clips so not either a 88/05 or 88/14. Such conversions included charger guides on the rear of the action and blocking the hole at the base of the magazine well with a spring steel cover.

The S indicates conversion to use Spitzer ammunition rather than the older round nosed ammunition.

Does seem to be mismatched though, nice markings. Rods appear on a reasonably regular basis.....Value as always is subjective though I've seen some go for $300 to $300 in the US...

Good score, well done...

Based on the pictures:

it is a mix of parts (the numbers would originally have matched) the two digits stamped on the components are the last two digits of the serial number,

Is there any indication of a crescent moon marking on the receiver? Quite a lot of the GEW 88s that came into the US in the last few decades came from Turkey.

Yours has a nice lot of imperial German markings. I am a bit surprised there are not unit marks on the other side of the barrel band.

The "S" indicates it has been modified to use the pointed bullet (Spitzer) "S Patrone" (The 1905 pattern 7.92×57mm Mauser S Patrone)

Bit hesitant to give a price as there are so many unknowns IMHO even as a mix and match $40 was a good price. I would have snapped it up at 3x that.

The condition of the bore etc is really going to dictate a lot but I would have expected something like that to be between $100-150 at least in my neck of the woods (IL) even if not shootable, if shootable then it goes up a bit.

Chris

Ha! 4thVBGH and 4thGordons responding - what are the odds!

Hi 4th VBGH

I have some pics you may be interested in!

Chris

Hello Chris,

Oh we're on the ball....thats why....

I'd be very interested in your pics....Grandfather was 4th VB Gordons 1890's to 1904....Seemed a good choice for a name...

Robert

Website is great...I'm reading now and will leave this topic to the Gew 88.....My apologies for the diversion...

That's a nice one.....In original Gewehr 1888 configuration too, rather than converted at a later date for use with ammunition chargers, rather than the en bloc clips so not either a 88/05 or 88/14. Such conversions included charger guides on the rear of the action and blocking the hole at the base of the magazine well with a spring steel cover.

The S indicates conversion to use Spitzer ammunition rather than the older round nosed ammunition.

Does seem to be mismatched though, nice markings. Rods appear on a reasonably regular basis.....Value as always is subjective though I've seen some go for $300 to $300 in the US...

Good score, well done...

Thanks for the information! Greatly appreciated!

Website is great...I'm reading now and will leave this topic to the Gew 88.....My apologies for the diversion...

Its quite alright. No worries.

Based on the pictures:

it is a mix of parts (the numbers would originally have matched) the two digits stamped on the components are the last two digits of the serial number,

Is there any indication of a crescent moon marking on the receiver? Quite a lot of the GEW 88s that came into the US in the last few decades came from Turkey.

Yours has a nice lot of imperial German markings. I am a bit surprised there are not unit marks on the other side of the barrel band.

The "S" indicates it has been modified to use the pointed bullet (Spitzer) "S Patrone" (The 1905 pattern 7.92×57mm Mauser S Patrone)

Bit hesitant to give a price as there are so many unknowns IMHO even as a mix and match $40 was a good price. I would have snapped it up at 3x that.

The condition of the bore etc is really going to dictate a lot but I would have expected something like that to be between $100-150 at least in my neck of the woods (IL) even if not shootable, if shootable then it goes up a bit.

Chris

Hi 4th VBGH

Chris

There is no Crescent and Star markings for Turkish commission. Thanks for the help! Greatly appreciated, all!

Based on the pictures:

Chris

Chris...the change to S patronen wa sin 1903...not 1905. 1905 was the start of the program to modernize the german rifles in use to handle the S patronen...which included rifles and carbines made previous to 1903.

Hi 4th VBGH

Chris

Chris...the change to S patronen wa sin 1903...not 1905. 1905 was the start of the program to modernize the german rifles in use to handle the S patronen...which included rifles and carbines made previous to 1903.

Thanks for the correction. Round introduced 1903, Conversions begun in 1905.... got it.

Chris