Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German 90th Reserve Infantry Regiment

Bodey

But I don´t know, if that fits to the locations, AOK4 mentioned in #15

According to the regimental history, Füsilier Johannes Bodenhagen was wounded on 26 September 1915 in Ogorodniki (Konty) and died on 4 October 1915 in Feldlazarett 4 des Gardereservekorps in Oljapow.

To me it´s interesting, both divisions in september, stood close to each other. (Note map 2!!!)

Map 1: Battle of Vilna, 26,9.1915 (4. Garde-Division near "Ca." = Gruppe Carlowitz))

Map 2: Battle of Vilna 30.8.-15.9.15 (54.Inf.Div. near "Pl." = Korps Plüskow)

Map 3: A zoom of map 2

I really dont have enough knowlege myself to determine the location.... what do you think of it?

Well, by example, Smorgon (also called Smarhon) in this coloured map, is an area between Vilinius and Minsk in the today "Belorussia or White Russia"

post-35295-0-25735900-1440729781_thumb.j

That´s because they translated it in european letters... :hypocrite:

• 2 months later...

Hello Michael!

I have been searching for an ancestor for a long time and I was very excited to see your question here. My ancestors name was Wilhelm Pieplow and he was serving with the RIR 90. Not only that but also with the 6th kompagnie! What a great coincidence!

I have come over a lot of information about the regimente. And I have the *erinnerungsblätter deutsher regimenter*.

Both RIR 90 and FR 90 were from Rostock. FR 90 was one of the first who went through Belgium in 1914. RIR 90 came after. They met only once or twice during the whole war.

RIR 90 Went down through Belgium in aug 1914, they took part in the destruction of Louvain (Löwen/Leuven) and Dermonde (Termonde). They then came to the surroundings of Noyon in France. Winter and christmas was spent in Fresnieres. After this they were in Champagne near Somme-Py until mid july 1915 when they were transported to Russia. They were not long in russia, allready in oktober they were back in france. They were a reserve unit so the were moved around a lot.

My ancestor was injured in Verdun by höhe 304 in 1916, but later, 20 nov 1917 he was missing after the famous English tank attack on Cambrai. I have narrowed it down to a certain field were he most certainly went missing, burried under the masses.

Do you have any Pictures or anything from the time?

As he, Wilhelm Bodenhagen, was rapported in the verlustliste of the 20 sept. He was probably wounded in Ostrolenka the last Days of july or even more possibly the night after the 1th of aug when the 6th was heavily injured by the village Zabin. Lt Clemens Rothäuser 6 komp was injured in this attack and he is rapported badly injured the same day.

RIR 90 took over 4700 prisoners when they attacked Ostrolenka.

Another man who fought with the RIR90 was Edgar Maass (MaaB). He was with the maschinengewehr kompagnie. He later in 1938 emmigrated to the USA. However he wrote a book about the battle of Verdun and it's well worth Reading if you can get it in English. Especially as your great grandfather had the same experiences.

"Verdun, by the Hamburg writer Edgar Maass, of Novemberschlacht fame, is one of the finest of German war novels, thoroughly human and without false heroism" (A Survey of German Literature during 1936, Edwin H. Zeydel)

Greetings Steffo,

It would appear that most of my Prussian family were bound to be sent to the area surrounding Verdun. I know to two who were killed there.

it was a terrible time for all of those soldiers.

The strange thing is that they always considered themselves Polish not Prussians.

Marcin

Hello Michael!

I have been searching for an ancestor for a long time and I was very excited to see your question here. My ancestors name was Wilhelm Pieplow and he was serving with the RIR 90. Not only that but also with the 6th kompagnie! What a great coincidence!

I have come over a lot of information about the regimente. And I have the *erinnerungsblätter deutsher regimenter*.

Both RIR 90 and FR 90 were from Rostock. FR 90 was one of the first who went through Belgium in 1914. RIR 90 came after. They met only once or twice during the whole war.

RIR 90 Went down through Belgium in aug 1914, they took part in the destruction of Louvain (Löwen/Leuven) and Dermonde (Termonde). They then came to the surroundings of Noyon in France. Winter and christmas was spent in Fresnieres. After this they were in Champagne near Somme-Py until mid july 1915 when they were transported to Russia. They were not long in russia, allready in oktober they were back in france. They were a reserve unit so the were moved around a lot.

My ancestor was injured in Verdun by höhe 304 in 1916, but later, 20 nov 1917 he was missing after the famous English tank attack on Cambrai. I have narrowed it down to a certain field were he most certainly went missing, burried under the masses.

Do you have any Pictures or anything from the time?

Hello Steffo,

That is an amazing coincidence! perhaps they were good friends... thank you for all the info, unfortunately i do not have any period photos of him. The only period items that exist in the family are his two medals (iron cross second class and a i cannot remember the second ones name, but it was a ww1 service medal of some sort)

Michael

Hello Michael,

Interesting, I wish we had something saved but we have nothing. Until my research he was believed to have been killed in Verdun.

I´m putting toghether a kind of resume/story, unfortunately in Swedish, of the movements of RIR90. I've managed to find some pictures of the regiment, pictures and some maps of the places where they stayed and fought. I also got hold of the regiment story, authored by officers. Add to that the book about Verdun about Edgar Maass.

So feel free to ask if you want to and if you 've got something to contribute with I would be grateful.

Is there a inscription or document with the medals?

Do you know if WB participated in the battle of Cambrai on the 20 nov 1917. This is a quite well known battle. It was the first time the English attacked full scale with tanks. Many of the RIR90 were killed, injured or captured this day.

Steffo, i do not believe there are any inscriptions or documents with the medals, as they are at another family members house, but i most definitely will ask moe questions as i come across them.

Thank you,

Michael

Hello Michael!

Hello Steffo,

I see several men with the surname Pieplow who hail from Rostock mentioned in the verlustliste (Adolf, Emil, Heinrich, Karl, Richard)...are some of them related to you perhaps?

Daniel

Thanks Daniel,

Some of them.

Serg. Paul Pieplow FR90 1 komp, died at Damenweg, Champagne in aug 1918.

Friedrich Pieplow have I found l.v. but unknown regiment.

August and Albert Pieplow is in the war but they are not be found.

I have a Paul Kröger who is married to the Brothers sister and he is found in french military prison.

The other Pieplows may very well be cousins or other relatives to the above Brothers. I really don´t know any family from the father of the brothers..

The Brothers are from Alt steinhorst, Marlow, Mecklenburg. Not far from Rostock.

/Steffo

• 4 weeks later...

I have a copy of the RIR90 history as well.I have no connection to the unit; but RIR90 was brigaded with RIR31, and it's this unit that I'm researching (occassionally).

I have a copy of the RIR90 history as well.I have no connection to the unit; but RIR90 was brigaded with RIR31, and it's this unit that I'm researching (occassionally).

Hi ken,

Good to see another person have interest in units like this, were RIR 90 and RIR 31 together the entire war?

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Only until early 1915.

Yes, They attacked Termonde (Dermonde) in Belgium together. RIR90 from the South and IR31 from the North.

5365573753_1dcaeceaa7_b.jpgps453 by Joe Robinson, on Flickr

5366187660_4392095cf5_b.jpgps453a by Joe Robinson, on Flickr

Very interesting photo. I have seen it on your FlickR. :-)

Dated Kaiserlager 5/7 1915. The RIR 90 was at the time in Kaiserlager just North of Somme-Py. They were here from 7 april until the 14 july 1915 before going to russia.

The cardwriter Adolf Frank was born 6 nov 1883. He was a Kleinpnerei-Lehrling (1900). Learning what?

He was rapported badly injured in september 1915. So probably he was injured at the battle of Ostrolenka in july and perhaps at the same time as Bodeys grandfather. He was with the 9th comp

I'm sorry that my german doesn´t allow me to read the handwriting. I would be interested in knowing if it is soldiers from the RIR90 on the postcard. The photo is from Nampcell. That is near of Carlepont South of Noyon. The RIR90 were there in september.

/Steffo

This is a great photo! Very interesting that they decided to pose next to a destroyed house.... Sorry for the delayed response, I have been tied up with the holidays lately, hope everyone had a good holiday.

Michael

• 2 years later...

My great grandfather was in the Reverse Infantry Regiment 90, 2nd Battalion, 6th Company.  He died on October 13th, 1915 in Noyon France was the death book says he was buried in Mesnil.  So I'm wondering if there is any additional information I can find on him?  His name was Wihelm Heinrich Johann Jorn born November 2, 1877 in Goldewin, Gustrow Germany.  Thank you  

Sue

On 3/21/2018 at 20:11, susanstrollo said:

My great grandfather was in the Reverse Infantry Regiment 90, 2nd Battalion, 6th Company.  He died on October 13th, 1915 in Noyon France was the death book says he was buried in Mesnil.  So I'm wondering if there is any additional information I can find on him?  His name was Wihelm Heinrich Johann Jorn born November 2, 1877 in Goldewin, Gustrow Germany.  Thank you  

Sue

Hi Sue,

Welcome to GWF!

His grave is not listed as far as I can see by the German War Graves Commisson, but he could be one of the many 'Unknowns' buried in one of the nearby cemeteries. I cannot find him in the "Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg" which lists casualties for the WW1 either - there are three 'Jorns' listed but none fit the dates or the regiment. 

When you say he is listed in the 'death book', what do you mean?

Trajan