Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German 90th Reserve Infantry Regiment

Bodey

Hello everyone,

My name is Michael and i am new to this forum. I joined hoping I could find out some more information on the 90th reserve infantry regiment. Here I have a scanned copy of a casualty list from 9/20/15 (obtained from ancestry.com) and I happened to find my great grandfather's name on it. I have tried to do this research on my own, but have found little success. I have a few questions if anyone could answer:

Is this regiment the same as the "90th Fuiliser Regiment"?

Does anyone have any sources where i could learn more?

What battles were this regiment involved /where were they stationed?

I know that the 90th Fusilier Regiment was from Mecklenberg... did a soldier have to be from Mecklenberg to serve in this unit?

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

post-124058-0-53603000-1440452080_thumb.

Hello Michael!

Welcome!

Reserve-Infanterie-regiment nr 90 : http://genwiki.genealogy.net/RIR_90

All in German I'm afraid....

They're from Rostock/Wismar/Schwerin, North Germany.

And RIR 90 is nót the same as Fusiliers 90, the Grossherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Füsilier-regiment Kaiser Wilhelm Nr.90

I've been/I am researching Infanterie Regiment 16, which was based in Cologne, and the soldiers there came from places all over, from Wisconsin/USA to Moscow/Russia.

So I think you only needed to live near the Regiment to be entitled to enlist

What's your great-grandfather's name? The Verlustliste can throw up some very interesting information you don't expect (sometimes, not always...)

JW

"Preussische Verlustliste" are Prussian casualties.

Regards,

JMB

Very interesting, thank you all for the info! Im sure it will help me greatly. My great grandfather's name was Wilhelm Bodenhagen and he was from Hamburg. According to the family story, he had a brother named 'Hans' who was also in the army, but i was never able to find anything on him. My great grandfather was actually shot in the head, and by some great luck, he survived....

Hello Michael!
Wilhelm served with the 6th company. Here is entry in the casualty list: (leicht verwundet = light wounded)

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/2852015

I couldn´t find a Hans Bodenhagen. Probably he was not injured. The were a few other Wilhelm Bodenhagen. But only tghis one born in Hamburg.

Here is the history of formation (source: Handbuch der Verbände und Truppen des deutschen Heeres 1914-1918, Infanterie, Band 2)

post-35295-0-74213900-1440470979_thumb.j

Hello,

As Hamburg was part of the IX. Armeekorps in which RIR 90 was formed, it was not unusual for recruits from Hamburg to end up in any of the units from the Corps (Hamburg had a lot of inhabitants and they could fill up more than there were strictly Hamburg regiments).

A regimental history of RIR 90 exists (but I don't have it).

RIR 90 was originally largely created as the reserve unit of Füsilier-Regiment 90 but didn't have anything to do with for the rest, it also belonged to another division.

Regards,

Jan

These pages were compiled from WW1 allied intelligence so not to be trusted and could be false, treat with caution, it is just a guide.

post-103138-0-73439000-1440516933_thumb.

post-103138-0-52907700-1440516944_thumb.

post-103138-0-04400700-1440516953_thumb.

post-103138-0-33576300-1440516994_thumb.

post-103138-0-48251300-1440517004_thumb.

post-103138-0-24135400-1440517079_thumb.

Here is part of the last page 8878 from the previous edition to the link in post 6 above.

There is a large list of soldiers from 5 Company RIR90 listed as killed and seriously wounded, Many also for 6 Company. Therefore the 2nd Battalion were involved in a heavy battle.

page 8879 has many soldiers killed and seriously wounded in companies 6, 7 and 8.

post-103138-0-39384600-1440517885_thumb.

Hello Michael!

Wilhelm served with the 6th company. Here is entry in the casualty list: (leicht verwundet = light wounded)

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/2852015

I couldn´t find a Hans Bodenhagen. Probably he was not injured. The were a few other Wilhelm Bodenhagen. But only tghis one born in Hamburg.

Here is the history of formation (source: Handbuch der Verbände und Truppen des deutschen Heeres 1914-1918, Infanterie, Band 2)

Thank you for this info, my grandfather told me that hans actually lost an arm and ended up dying due to it. I did find a johannes bodenhagen from schwerin on a casualty list, but im not sure if hes of relation

Michael

Hello Michael!

I just found a Johannes Bodenhagen in the 5.Garde-.Regiment zu Fuß. Born in Güstrow (Mecklenburg)

He died in a hospital of the XX.Army Corps.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/3166024

I have seen this document, unfortunately i dont speak german so i never knew what that meant... There is a chance that this could be my great grandfather's brother as my grandfather told me Hans died a little after losing his arm...

Michael

Well, that´s possible.

"+ an seinen Wunden Feldlaz.4 des XX.AK" means: "Died of his wounds in the 4th field-hospital of the 20th army corps"

The document is from oct, 29, 1915. The 4th field-hospital of the XX.army corps was later named Feld-Lazerett Nr.318 and belonged to the 37th Infantry Division.

Hans is the shortened form of Johannes.

The 5.Garde-Regiment zu Fuß belonged to the 4.Garde-Inf.Div. in that time (8.5.15-12.9.16).

It´s difficulty to see, where he was injured, because the division was set-up in march 1915, fought at the eastern front and been transported to the West at the beginning of october 1915.

The XX.Army Corps only fought in the east. The 37.Inf.Div. was in the West since december 1916.

So I assume, Johannes was injured in autum 1915 in the East. The division was at the Njemen-river, Lithuania and Vilnius

According to the regimental history, Füsilier Johannes Bodenhagen was wounded on 26 September 1915 in Ogorodniki (Konty) and died on 4 October 1915 in Feldlazarett 4 des Gardereservekorps in Oljapow.

That fits to the document. It needed a few weeks to be published

Wow, they got injured 6 days apart... that must not have been a good week for the family...

AOK4 does it say on the causality list that he was injured on September 26, or did you find that somewhere else? just want to make sure im not missing anything on that list

Thanks,

Michael

Oh, I´m sorry.... AOK4 wrote it according to the regimental history. "My" Johannes was from the 5th guards. That´s strange. I haven´t found another one, but the place of birth and the day of the injuring would wfit

I think, the case is clear.

Wilhelm Bodenhagen, Res.Inf.Rgt.90, light wounded september 1915

Johannes (Hans) Bodenhagen, 5th guards, wounded september 1915, died october 1915.

I think, the info about the XX.Army corps is wrong, but Gardekorps will be correct.

For the regimental history, you could ask Patrick. The book of RIR90 is not in his list, but maybe he owns it, andt it´s stil not on CD.

http://military-books.lima-city.de/test/index.html

Here the batles, that could be possible for their injuries.

Res.Füs.Rgt.90 (54.Inf.Div.)

28.8.-5.9.15: Swilocz and Raumka-Werecia

1.-30.9.15: Njemen > Beresina (6.-7.9.15: Wolkowyszk, 12.-17.9.15: Szczara and Jelnia, 17.-27.9.15: lithunia swamps)

5.Garde-Rgt.z.F. (4.Garde-Inf.Div.)

23.-27.9.15: Battle of Vilna

But I don´t know, if that fits to the locations, AOK4 mentioned in #15

According to the regimental history, Füsilier Johannes Bodenhagen was wounded on 26 September 1915 in Ogorodniki (Konty) and died on 4 October 1915 in Feldlazarett 4 des Gardereservekorps in Oljapow.

To me it´s interesting, both divisions in september, stood close to each other. (Note map 2!!!)

Map 1: Battle of Vilna, 26,9.1915 (4. Garde-Division near "Ca." = Gruppe Carlowitz))

Map 2: Battle of Vilna 30.8.-15.9.15 (54.Inf.Div. near "Pl." = Korps Plüskow)

Map 3: A zoom of map 2

post-35295-0-37033900-1440729082_thumb.j