Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Mark Hone

Private Robert Bragg MM

Mark Hone

I have downloaded the MIC of Private Bragg for his granddaughter, a friend of mine. Unfortunately I am a bit baffled by the entry. There appears prima facie to be no mention of the MM. By Victory it has the code 'H/1/103 B20 page 4432'. By 15 star it has 'H/1/53 B4 Page 235'. Theatre of war is recorded as '(2B)'. Date of entry:'25/4/15' (Gallipoli?) Remarks: Sec 'B' 27/1/19 (Presumably his date and type of discharge). Can anyone untangle this arcana, please? We know he won the MM-my friend has it! He was a pre-war regular , originally 2392 Lancashire Fusiliers later 30661 Border Regt,where he won the MM.

GavinH

Mark,

The on-line Medal Index Cards don't record the issue of gallantry medals. These are found on a seperate series of cards at the National Archives. Quite often the Medal Card was noted M.M., D.C.M., M.C. etc, but not always. The codes next to the medals are references to the medal rolls. These are also held at the National Archives and can contain some extra information. 2b is the code for Gallipoli. 27/1/19 will be the date of his discharge. Not sure about 'Sec B' . Possibly it is the class of Army Reserve he was discharged to. I think 'B' Class might have been something to do with regular soldiers.

Regards

Gavin

Mark Hone

Dear Gavin,

Thank you very much for the information. All is becoming much clearer. Why was 2B the code for Gallipoli? I will have to try and arrange a visit to the NA to have a look at the full rolls.

HarryBettsMCDCM

You can search for the London Gazette Promulgation Online which will confirm the award of the MM.& give the Date it was "Gazetted",I doubt if you will find details of the circumstance of the award,as WW1 MMs are rarely accompanied by Citations,either in the Gazette or in other Documentation,The best bet is usually the Contemporary Local {To Him} Press,around the time of the Gazetting [3 or 4 Months sometimes]Good Luck ;)

Mark Hone

So far I haven't been able to find him on the London Gazette.'Robert Bragg' only turns up a different bloke in the Worcesters while 'R. Bragg' results in a formidable number of references that I haven't quite steeled myself to wade through! Thanks for the encouragement.

Mark Hone

Bingo! Instinct took me almost immediately to the right one on the London Gazette list. 28th January 1918, so I would hazard a guess he won it at Third Ypres. Unfortunately I still don't know what battalion of the Border Regt. he was in but we're getting closer!

GavinH
Why was 2B the code for Gallipoli?

All theatres of war were given codes. France and Flanders was 1a, Italy 1b, Gallipoli 2b etc. There is probably a full list of them archived somewhere on this site.

Regards

Gavin