The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal Help Required

Swally

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me anything about a James McEwan of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, seemingly he was badly wounded and was awarded the Military Medal. He stayed in Wishaw, (Bellhaven Terrace). He was with the Home Guard during WW2 and was accidently killed by a comrade who's gun went off as he cleaned it.

Any info is welcome.

Regards,

Swally

First Class Harry and so quickly. Any idea how I find out the deed that earned the medal?

Thanks,

Swally

Y

The usual rule of thumb is the award being gazetted about three months after the action. I looked at the war diary for 2nd A & S.H. for September. The battalion was in the Ypres area. Sometimes a man who "distinguished himself" in some particular action may get a mention in the diary but apparently nothing in this case. It could have been a more immediate award in which case the time lag is less than three months. A more thorough read of the war diary might turn up something. His service record has not survived.

Cheers Harry, now this chap died in WW2 Do you think there may be another record for him.

Thanks, Swally

Don't assume because papers are not online they didn't survive ( the Blitz)- if he was still serving after ww1 his papers are simply not yet released