Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Harold Arthur Shaw, Royal Engineers-Mystery Man

Mark Hone

One of the 97 names on our Bury Grammar School war memorial is HA Shaw. In the detailed roll of honour printed in the School List he is described as 'Lieutenant Harold Arthur Shaw, Royal Engineers'. After years of blithely assuming that he was one particular soldier I have now discovered to my horror that he can't possibly be that man, as the Christian name is wrong on SDGW. I am completely baffled. I can find no feasible candidate on CWGC, SDGW or Ancestry. He is the only 'mystery man' left on our Great War roll of honour. Can anyone throw light on his identity?

RGA Major with a MC. Address on the MIC in Sussex....bit of a stretch for Bury?

Rgds

Tim D

RGA Major with a MC. Address on the MIC in Sussex....bit of a stretch for Bury?

Rgds

Tim D

Before we write him off we need death date.

Well he applied for his medals in 1921......does that help?

I see there is a Death Index record for June 1916 for Harold A Shaw of Bury. Born 1893 looks like middle name may have been Ashworth.

Born 24 May 1892 died 25 April 1916.

Thanks for this. I came across Major Harold Arthur Shaw but apart from his lack of obvious connection with Bury the main problem is that he didn't die. Not that that is conclusive-Bolton School have two people on their war memorial who turned out to have survived.

I shall check the school list rolls of honour to see when his name is first italicized to indicate that he has died.

Thanks again. Yes, I did notice Harold A Shaw dying in Bury in June 1916. Born in 1893 and the right sort of job on the 1911 Census. Trouble is I can find no trace of him on CWGC.

He was a Civil Engineer. Perhaps commissioned and discharged before death?

You probably already have this;

In a 1913 issue of The Clavian, an H A Smith is described as an old boy who has subscribed to the school magazine. Naturally, he's the only one on the list without an address.

In 1912, "H. A. Shaw, Studentship Examination of the Institution of Civil Engineers"

In 1915, Associate Membership Examination of the Institution of Civil Engineers"

Edit - As Mr blue has already pointed out!

Well done Blackblue.

I found an H. A. Shaw in the Army List index for November 1916, but for some reason he does not appear in column 824a, despite being in the index.

However, column 824a lists 2nd and 3rd West Lancashire Field Companies, Royal Engineers, Territorial Force. This ties in perfectly with LG entry.

Steen

His address on his death was 50 Moorgate, Bury. Parents Richard and Sarah.

Could be him?

Liverpool Echo, 4th September 1915

West Lancashire Divisional Engineers - To be Second Lieutenants - H.A. Shaw, Corporal.

(In my defence, i'm getting the football set up at the same time)

Yup. Too many clues....I think they got his middle name wrong.

There several references to Harold Ashworth Shaw on ancestry. One a list of civil engineering students on which he is annotated as 'died on war service'. He was buried at All Saints, Elton, Manchester on 28.4.1916. His address in the burial register was given as 50, Moorgate. A case of non-commemoration?

Nice one. Is there anything tying him to Bury Grammar School anywhere?

Arthur might be a misprint in the list. I think that we may be closing in. I can't access the school's printed archives at the moment but will do a full search when I can. Possibly the third 'non-commemorated' on our War Memorial. We shall see. Thanks to everyone for their help.

The nuisance is that the school magazine 'The Clavian', which published detailed obituaries, ceased publication in February 1916 until the 1930s! We only have the brief entries on the school list Roll of Honour' to go from. The answer may well lie in the local press. I shall make a foray to Bury Archives. Thanks again, folks.

Yes, lo and behold here he is in the Bury Memorial Book 1916 edition. I should have checked that first. Don't know why I missed him when I went through the entries a few years ago. Thanks again to everyone who contributed and helped overcome my wooden-headedness. I was looking in the wrong direction and was misled by the wrong middle name when the real story was actually at hand.

RIP Harold Shaw.

post-120-0-37084000-1440442642_thumb.jpg

post-120-0-29919500-1440442663_thumb.jpg