The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Identifying Regiment

joloste

I've found an article in a newspaper for a marriage of a Sergeant W.J.Pickering with the initials R.H.I.J. afterwards. Is someone able to tell me what these initials stand for. I've tried searching but can't come up with an answer. I'm assuming it's an army regiment as the marriage took place during World War 1.

Many thanks,

Gillian

Is it definitely an I? Could be Royal Horse Artillery J (Battery).

Dave

Is it in the British Newspaper Archive Gillian?

If so what paper and date?

Tim D

Found in the Newcastle Journal 27 April 1916. Definitely says R.H.I.J!

Ancestry has Sarah J Welton marrying William J Pickering.

None I can see in the RHA....there is a RFA TF and an ASC man.

What about some sort of abbreviation for the Northumberland Hussars?

If the the newspaper printed H as a mistake for an M, it could be Royal Militia of the Island of Jersey.

Ron

Looking at Ancestry he appears to have spent his whole life in Northumberland. If I have the right man he is born 1880 and a Railway Relief Porter with the North Eastern Railway in 1911. Might not be the right man as this one is already married in 1911.

Wrong family that one....I think the right one is William John Pickering born 1881/2 Dinnington Parish. Farm worker in 1911 Census.

http://search.ancestry.com.au/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1911England&h=30260911&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=6598

Rgds

Tim D

Nice one. That's the lad I was looking at...what is RHIJ though??

Thank you to all those who have helped and commented on this topic. I didn't expect so many replies so quickly. It is the William John Pickering born Dinnington and living in Little Swinburne, Northumberland in 1911. I also had found the medal card for Lt. William John Pickering 15th Hussars but was thrown as there is no mention of him being a Sergeant as quoted in the newspaper article in 1916. However, the address of Britley (possibly should be Birtley) Cottage Wark-on-Tyne does fit as this is where his wife's family were living in 1911. Thank you also for the additional information from the Red Cross and the mention in the North Tyne magazine. Lots of new leads to follow.

Although we still don't know what the RHIJ stands for!!

Best wishes,

Gillian