Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jewell 1918 Scabbard for the P13 Type Bayonet

jimmy9fingers1

On 29/09/2019 at 20:54, 4thVBGH said:

I've found this thread very interesting, thankyou. I see comment that Remington took over production of the 1913 to produce M 1917 bayonets, some over stamped.....Would the same apply to Winchester produced bayonets? I have a Winchester produced bayonet with the X visible, and the remains of some sort of marking similar to the eagle head earlier.....I can't see this particular marking in British & Commonwealth Bayonets by Skennerton & Richardson, or in Ians The US Enfield though as I say its not a complete stamping.

Stands to reason Winchester would've done the same with any leftover 1913 production.......would that be correct? With a smaller production run for the earlier pattern, I can't imagine there'd be too much leftover to contribute towards the 1917 bayonet.

Robert

Hello 4th VBGH, as both 4th Gordons and Trajan will bear witness, I often change the foot that is in my mouth but for what it's worth, here goes.

Both Remington and Winchester had Crown contracts for the 1913 bayonet. These bayonets were inspected Stateside by Crown personnel and those accepted were marked. The backside ricasso was stamped with the inspectors' marks along with the broad arrow (phelan(?)), and the convex bend indicator, X.. The frontside ricasso had the year 1913 and the manufacturer's circle brand on it, Remington or W.

When the U.S. went into WWI, the Army took the remaining stock of 1913's for the U.S. To indicate this change of ownership, the Crown's acceptance marks were overstruck to remove them and US was stamped on the backside ricasso with the Ordnance flaming bomb and Eagle head, as possible. It is only about 1 inch square. Dave Cunningham's Bayo Points #10 is a good source on this subject. If you want a book on these bayonets, consider Dan Morrison's, 'The U.S. Enfield Bayonet'.

For what it's worth, my Winchester 1917's have faint Eagle heads and inspectors' numbers but the Ordnance stamp and the US stand proud. I cheated and used a jeweler's loupe to see the details.

Regards,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 13:26, 2nd Dublins said:

Hello 4th VBGH, as both 4th Gordons and Trajan will bear witness, I often change the foot that is in my mouth but for what it's worth, here goes.

Both Remington and Winchester had Crown contracts for the 1913 bayonet. These bayonets were inspected Stateside by Crown personnel and those accepted were marked. The backside ricasso was stamped with the inspectors' marks along with the broad arrow (phelan(?)), and the convex bend indicator, X.. The frontside ricasso had the year 1913 and the manufacturer's circle brand on it, Remington or W.

When the U.S. went into WWI, the Army took the remaining stock of 1913's for the U.S. To indicate this change of ownership, the Crown's acceptance marks were overstruck to remove them and US was stamped on the backside ricasso with the Ordnance flaming bomb and Eagle head, as possible. It is only about 1 inch square. Dave Cunningham's Bayo Points #10 is a good source on this subject. If you want a book on these bayonets, consider Dan Morrison's, 'The U.S. Enfield Bayonet'.

For what it's worth, my Winchester 1917's have faint Eagle heads and inspectors' numbers but the Ordnance stamp and the US stand proud. I cheated and used a jeweler's loupe to see the details.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark.......I'm more a rifle collector than bayonet though the Winchester bayonet was one I'd had for a while but given no great scrutiny until this thread.......So its good to be prompted to review the collection every now and then, and I thank you.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2019 at 21:39, 4thGordons said:

I'll make sure my camera is with me at the GWE! Chris

Kens3.jpg.a73130be3fb56f2f248bd0f372972c97.jpg

Kens1.jpg.6b9551af6ae3d8f50c9a200a38ea477f.jpg

kens2.jpg.f6ffe1f96f6012ebedb89604e76f3c7e.jpg

Chris- Thanks again for your photo help.

Regards, Kern