Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29th,31st and 48th Divisional Cyclist Companies and VIII Corps Cyclist

owen4256

I am compiling a history of the VIII Corps Cyclist Battalion and its predecessor units: the 29th Divisional Cyclist Company, the 31st Divisional Cyclist Company and the 48th Divisional Cyclist Company. I have the war diaries and a number of personal accounts from individuals who served with these units. I have traced photographs and letters from a number of officers and men to flesh out the account. I would be very pleased to hear from members who are able to share details of any men who served with any of these units. I am particularly interested in diaries, letters, photographs and newspaper articles relating to individual soldiers. More than happy to share details of the unit’s history in return. All replies gratefully acknowledged. Regards. Clive

• 1 year later...

Curiousity.

Looking for info on my Grandfather -  Walter James Pook - Started off with the Territorial Cyclist Battalion of the Devons as a private, was in the Whitby area for the Christmas 1914 bombardment and then, I believe he was brigaded into the 48th S. Midland Div Cycle Company and then the VIII Corps Cyclist Battalion.   Circa 1918 he was commissioned from the ranks into the Devons as a 2nd Lt but ended the war as an acting Capt.  

Any references you have come across would be appreciated.

Chris Pook.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

Nothing specific on Walter Pook. He was one of a number of men who transferred from the Exeter companies of the 7th Devonshire to the 2/1st South Midland Cyclists around March 1915. He probably transferred to the 3/1st when it was formed as a separate unit in May 1915 under Lt Edgar Gratwicke (also late of 7/ Devonshires) and remained in the UK until going out at a reinforcement to the 1/1st South Midland Cyclists - the 48th Divisional Cyclists in 1916. There was a small draft from 3/1st who landed in France 30th April 1916. He was commissioned into the Devonshires on 31st July 1918

His service record is at the National Archives WO374/54598 which should give fuller details.

Love to see a picture if you can post one

Regards

Clive

Owen

Just to say how delighted I am that you are undertaking this work. The ACC has been much ignored and often misunderstood. Hopefully the end result will be published.

Charles M

Charles

Thank you for the encouragement. I have progressed considerably since my original post. I have a full account for the VIIIth Corps Battalion and am a fair way to completing similar work for the IX and XI. Along the way I have gathered a great deal of material on tactics, organisation and equipment. At the moment, I am compiling material on the Cyclists'role in Italy,Palestine,Salonika and Mesopotamia with a view to producing a more general work on the Army Cyclist Corps as a whole. I will be approaching publishers at some point to see what appetite for either battalion specific or more general accounts there might be.

Regards

Clive

Clive

I personally think that an account of the ACC as a whole would be very worthwhile. Helion would be the publisher that I would recommend. If you would like to run a draft chapter or two past me, it might help.

Charles M