Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers effects record abreviations

stu

Can anyone please help me.

I am researching the men on my local church memorial, one of the men, David Wallington appears to have died of pneumonia in Tipperary but then buried in the U.K.

I am however a little confused regarding some abbreviations on his effects record, please see the attached image. I am wondering what the letters JCW refer to in the regiment column and then in the third column under his date of death what are these abbreviations, does it refer to a hospital in Tipperary ?

Also I will be grateful if someone can tell me why he may have been in Ireland, was it for some sort of garrison duties, and maybe does that have something to do with the JCW letters ? and lastly, even though he has a CWGC headstone, why were his remains repatriated to his parents local cemetery in Essex, surely were soldiers not normally buried close to where they had died ?

Many thanks

Stuart

post-1036-0-98682400-1440285834_thumb.jp

The families of soldiers who died in the UK were allowed to bring them home for burial.

The last letter of the 3 at the top of the regiment column is D not W (compare with the D of David and the W of Wallington) but I'm afraid I can't help you with what they stand for.

In the third column, under the date of death I think it says Mil Hos (Military Hospital) Tipperary.

CGM

Hi

He died of pneumonia at "home" so maybe the D refers to Depot?

Looking at the others on that page they all say which battalion, and he was in the 1st.

regards

Robert

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions so far.

Looking at it now, I can see it is a D and not a W, I should have spotted that !

I guess IBD is a possibility, and Infantry Base Depot would certainly fit.

I wonder what he was doing in Ireland, his battalion the 1st were on the Western Front at the time, it seems strange to me that he would have been sent to Ireland to recover from sickness or wounds when surely it would have been easier to have sent him to England, but could it be that he may have been sent there after recovering from wounds or sickness at home before being sent back to the front ?

Please keep your suggestions coming

Many thanks to everyone for their contributions.

I think I would be more inclined to go with Infantry Base Depot as being more likely.

Stuart

For what it is worth I think it is ICD. If it is a b why in lower case?

He died in a Military Hospital, Tipperary. The one I linked to is probably the one unless you can find any more!

Although he died of pneumonia it could have been as a result of his wounds.I am wondering if he was treated in the UK and sent to Ireland to recover.

If he was sent from France directly to Ireland you would have to think that he was not severely wounded? . Local newspapers might have reported his burial and mention wounds.

Medal Roll shows him as 1st Bn. Mddx. Soldiers effects has what looks like M.M [Military Medal] but it does not appear on his MiC.

I've now seen your previous thread. Much better to keep threads for one man in one place. Saves a lot of duplication of effort for the members trying to help.

Johnboy,

I'm sorry if this has caused you inconvenience.

My original question was about his MM gazette date, but as my question regarding his effects record was mostly concerned with the abbreviations used, I thought it was appropriate to post it here.

I think your theory regarding his being in Ireland may possibly be correct, or I thought that he may have been sent to Ireland after recovering from wounds in England, probably for garrison duties until he was passed fit enough to return to the front, unfortunately he became ill whilst there and subsequently died of pneumonia.

Thank you for your help.

Stuart

I have not seen any 'English' regiments as being based at the barracks in 1918. only 'Irish' regiments. The Middlesex regiment 1st Bttn. was in France throughout the war.

Without a service record it is only using info to hand to make a suggestion. Try local papers for a report of his death/funeral, which might shed some light.

Although there is nothing on his medal roll or MIC to suggest it, I thought he may possibly have been posted to another unit until he was fit enough to return to his regiment at the front.

A local newspaper search is my next port of call.

Cheers

Although there is nothing on his medal roll or MIC to suggest it, I thought he may possibly have been posted to another unit until he was fit enough to return to his regiment at the front.

A local newspaper search is my next port of call.

Cheers

If it was another Bttn of Mddx.Regiment I think his number would have remained the same. If it was another regiment eg Labour Corps he would have been issued another number.