Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

captured tank, what date?

charlie962

post-119876-0-59704600-1440261782_thumb. post-119876-0-51587900-1440261801_thumb.

These 2 photos appear in a french archive as 1915. Does anyone have a better idea, perhaps by identifying the model? These photos are located as Fort de Pompelle, Marne.

The one on the right is a Beutepanzer - a British tank captured by the Germans and then used by them. I can't see a grill in the area of the rear cross and so I reckon it's a Mk IV female (a Mk V would have a grill).

The one on the left is harder for me to identify. The hatches appear to be the same size which means it is a Mk I, Mk II or Mk IV (the Mk V had a smaller hatch on the left of the tank - right as one looks at the front). The central circular machine gun slot helps narrow it down to a Mk IV.

The Mk IV tank arrived in France in May 17.

I'm sorry for the poor quality. I am pretty sure the two photos are the same tank. So Mk IV and probably late 1917? Is there a first date for the turnround of captured tanks by the Germans?

thanks for the info and links. On the landships II site there are 3 more photos of the same tank, much sharper. But I couldn't find any dates or narrative for these.

post-119876-0-76087700-1440322321_thumb. post-119876-0-11568700-1440322341_thumb.

The photos in post #1 show 'Liesel' of ATD14, which was was lost at Fort de la Pompelle on 1 June 1918, though it remained in situ until 1942 when it was scrapped. In the meantime it was well photographed so what dates the photos were taken is very difficult to say. The tank is a Mark IV Female. It's British serial is known to be 4571, making it one of the machines built by the Coventry Ordnance Works at Scotstoun, Glasgow. At least two COW built Mark IV Females survive, one at the Australian War Memorial and one at Fort Anniston, USA.

Gwyn

thanks for that latest bit of info. I will pass it on to the archivist. I now see it is very well known. This from Google Landships:

post-119876-0-63291600-1440340505_thumb.

Edited by charlie962

In the forums on the Armortek site there is a thread from a chap who is building his 1/6 scale mk iv as lies El. Stunning work.

Nigel

• 1 year later...