Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 items?

BenandNanny

Hi Everyone,

I found a load of bits and bobs that I have inherited over the years, are these ww1? Some are obvious to work out what they are, however the pin badge with the mother of pearl inlay escapes me, can anyone help identify it?

Many thanks in advance!
Ben

Wonder why the Blakey shoe stud was kept.

Old Tom

I have no idea!, some of it could be junk, but it meant something to someone, so its staying with the others!

I would say that quite simply they meant something to someone at one time and with the passage of time its easy to lose sight of just how significant that 'something they mean't' will have been. I'm a little intrigued by the split rivets and just where they would have been used - leather work being my best guess. Such as the Blakeys boot/shoe studs, they look pretty insignificant today, but at one time were essential 'furniture' for boots and shoes as is the button - taken for granted until you don't have one. The Blackpool badge speaks for itself. A first visit for anyone, especially upwards of 100yrs ago was a memorable experience I'm sure.

David

Thanks everyone, makes you think, a small non descript item can have so much back story to someone, stories that are lost over time and generations. Makes you want to look around at your trinkets and think, what will they make of these two generations on?