Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soras

Chris Davies 1

Hi,

I am trying to find any information on a chap called Soras

All I know is that he is from Countess Thorney, Leicester and was killed in 1918.

A long shot I know,

I hope someone can help

Kindest regards

Chris

SDGW:

Name: John Cawrey Soars
Birth Place: Countesthorpe, Leics
Residence: Countesthrope Leics
Death Date: 12 Jun 1918
Death Place: France and Flanders
Enlistment Place: Leicester
Regiment: Leicestershire Regiment
Battalion: 8th Battalion
Regimental Number: 23147
Type of Casualty: Died

Craig

Also following Craig's post - he has Army Service Records on Ancestry:

Name: John Cawrey Soars

Birth Date: abt 1887

Enlistment Age: 28

Marriage Date: 19 Sep 1908

Marriage Place: Registry Office Leicester Staffs

Document Year: 1915

Residence Place: Station Rd, Countesthorpe

Regimental Number: 23149Leicester

Regiment Name: Leicester Pioneers

Number of Images: 13

Form Title: Short Service Attestation

Mike

And here he is in the 1911 Census:

Name: John Lous

[John Soars]

Age in 1911: 23

Estimated birth year: abt 1888

Relation to Head: Head

Birth Place: Countesthorpe, Leicestershire, England

Civil Parish: Countesthorpe

Search Photos: Search for 'Countesthorpe' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection

County/Island: Leicestershire

Street address: Countesthorpe

Marital Status: Married

Registration district: Blaby

Registration District Number: 401

Sub-registration district: Wigston

ED, institution, or vessel: 3

Piece: 18975

Household Members:

Name Age

John Lous 23

Isabel Lous 29

Kathleen Lous 3/12

Mike

On the 1891 census the 3 year old John C, born Countesthorpe, was recorded at a dwelling on the Main Street near the Sir Robert Peel Beer House. Father Edward was aged 28 and a “Fm Wk”er from Countersthorpe. Mother Minnie K was aged 29 and from Kilby, Leicestershire. As well as John they have a daughter Augusta, aged 6 and born Countesthorpe.

By the time of the 1901 census the family are living next to the Roebuck Inn on the Main Street. Coming from Norfolk I’d assumed father Edward was a Farm Worker, but on this census both he, Minnie K, Augusta E and John C are recorded with the occupation “Knitting Machine (Hosiery). Others on the same page have an occupation of “Frame Work – Knitter” or “Framework Knitter (Hosiery)”

The marriage of a John Cawrey Soars to a Mary Isabel Harrold was recorded in the Blaby District of Leicestershire in the July to September quarter of 1908.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2DFG-SVL

John’s Army service commenced in 1915.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVBR-X3XT

As well as the daughter identified on the 1911 census, there is another potential child of John and Mary – a Harold J Soars whose birth was registered in the Blaby District of Leicestershire in the July to September quarter of 1918. His mothers maiden name was Harrold. This is the only instance of this combination of surname and mothers name I can find in the record of births in England and Wales from September 1911 onwards.

Thank you all for your time and efforts, that is the man.

The potential child of John Soars was Harold John Soars, he was born in 1918, he was a pilot with 74 Sqn during the Battle of Britain.

Once again I thank you all.

Kindest regards

Chris

ALMOST FORGOTTEN

The Search For Aviation Accidents In Northumberland

• 1 year later...

I have just come across this site and these posts. I am a granddaughter of John Cawrey SOARS, and have undertaken extensive research of my family tree. Is your interest in him or in my uncle, Harold John SOARS, who was a fighter pilot during WW2? He was born in 1918 as you surmised and died in 1975. I attach a photo of my grandfather and his family on his last leave in 1918. He died in June 1918, a prisoner of war.

P1080687.JPG

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for posting this moving family photograph. Hopefully Chris who originated the search will see your post and reply.

Best wishes,

Mike

Great picture and welcome to the Forum. :-)

BTW is the lady to his left in some kind of uniform? I can't work out if that's just a buckle in the middle of the band round her hat or a badge.

Peter

Hello JM Soars,

Sorry for the late reply but I have just returned today from holiday.

At first, I could not remember why I had posted originally.

Then I checked the date, in August 2015 I had guests who were staying at my B&B in Northumberland. They asked if I could help in tracing an information regarding a WWII pilot and I was tracing background information to confirm I was lokking at the right pilot.

My guest was Janet Todd.

Regards

Chris

• 1 year later...

Two years late, I come across this reply! Your visitor was my sister, Janet Todd nee SOARS!

As for the image, I’m not sure about the buckle and whether it indicated a uniform. She was John’s sister Augusta and she never married.

It is now 2018 and I am travelling the French canals including the Somme. I visited Peronne where my grandfather was captured. It has all been very moving.

If you are still looking for information on either John Cawrey SOARS or his son Harold John, the Battle of Britain pilot, let me know!

• 3 months later...