Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An S.98/05 scabbard with a tear drop frog stud?

trajan

A Turkish contact has asked for my opinion on this one.

The bayonet is a Fichtel & Sachs, Schweinfurt, L/18, but it looks to me from the grips to be an un-issued or refurbished one. The real oddity is the frog-stud on the scabbard... This looks just like the ones on P.1907 scabbards... I have certainly never seen anything like this before, but I am no expert in these things, although I do have Carter vol 1 in front of me and haven't seen a reference to anything like this yet... Anyone have any (polite!) comments?

Thanks in advance!

Trajan

post-69449-0-94297300-1440147343_thumb.j

Could scabbard be from an Argentinian 1909 sidearm? Fits 98/05's and same length.

Thanks - that was the opinion I received from showing it on another forum and have found other examples on the web, so yes, Argentine 1909 bolo bayonet scabbard!

A colleague on another forum sent this image to me - an Argentine 1909 Bolo and scabbard.... post-69449-0-92340500-1440247404_thumb.j

I gather that the Modelo Argentino 1909 is a military (Artillery) issue machete made by Weyersberg. Kirschbaum & Cie, of Solingen. The scabbard is basically that used for the S.98/05, which is rather interesting because - as any S.98/05 fule noe - metal scabbards only began to be made for the S.98/05 in early 1915... And the first documented examples were made by A.Coppel...

Another interesting point is that some were still apparently issued, albeit perhaps not commonly, during the Falklands conflict. 70+ years of service!!

• 9 months later...