Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Doherty, Pte. 201698 Northumberland Fusiliers

malcway

I am in contact with a gentleman of the cloth who knows someone seeking to return a Victory Medal inscribed to John Doherty (found while metal detecting in a field near Leeds), to the recipient’s family.

I have been unable to find anything in the Service or Pension records, and have been trawling through Ancestry and Find My past etc. trying to piece together the man’s descendants with some difficulty. However, I have now made contact with what I believe is one of his distant relatives who has provided some information. IF I am correct in my interpretation John was born in 1892 and most likely lived in Holbeck, Leeds. The 1901 Census has the family living at 46, Potter Street; the 1911 at 43, Potter Street. The ‘National Roll’ has an entry (Copy attached).

Given the address mentioned in the National Roll I think that this must be the man to who the medal belongs. John Doherty married Barbara Lyons in 1920, and they had three children, Eileen M (1920); Edward T (1923); and Sheila M in 1928. I would appreciate any help or advice that would conclusively prove or disprove that I have the right man, but I would really also like to find out more about his military service, if possible. There is a thought that he may have served with the 4th Bn. of the N.F., as I have found a nominal roll of that Bn. which does mention a J. Doherty. From his serial number I deduced that John was one of 6 NF men to be drafted to the Labour Corps at the same date. (John became Pte. 614646). Assuming that I am correct can anyone suggest what that date might be, and also what other sources I might try to see if I can find out more about John’s military service?

post-4194-0-41642400-1440079068_thumb.jp