Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bovington Tank Museum 2016-17

Bovington? is it the largest in the world?

I think Bovington has the largest collection of tanks although the total number of AFVs in France's Tank Museum in Saumur is greater (800) than that in Bovington (300). I think Kubinka has a similar number of AFVs as Bovington. The Israeli and German museums are of a similar size (approx 100 AFVs). The US museum is tiny in comparison. I haven't been to any others so can't comment further.

I was at Bovington in 2013 representing my GGF's field artillery regiment with my reenactment group (1914-21 Society) in 2013, and spent a lot of time talking to the public about German anti-tank measures in 1918. This was the only chance I've had thus far to pose with the right type of field gun. I'd certainly be interested in a return engagement...

post-24563-0-26464300-1442581656_thumb.j

In the mid-70's Bassingbourn barracks (near Royston) had an old M3 Grant parked outside the gates. A group from a local modelling club (did I tell you I am a close personal friend of Claudia Schiffer? OK ... so it wasn't THAT sort of modelling) visited and a chum still has photos of about 8 of us inside the thing. For some reason my memory tells me it was called Monty's Grant. For all I know it might be there yet.

I believe that it may be in the IWM now.

That's a bit harsh. The plans haven't been finalised so they are neither comprehensible nor incomprehensible.

I am not sure how one might think Little Willie and Panthers were contemporary. Little Willie is the first exhibit one gets to in the new hall where as the Panther is in the old hall and there is nothing in the written display notes that might give such an impression.

I can't quite prove it from photos, but in 2010 there was a Panther in rust red/sand camo only a few paces from Little Willie in what I think was the New Hall - the one accessed by a curving ramp and overlooked by the café.

Not wanting to go off-topic, but there's a unique, unbroken line of development from at least Cruiser Mk.IV all the way to at least Chieftain and maybe Challenger 2, which the Museum made no attempt to display or accentuate, even though it has practically all the tanks in the series - preferring to scatter them through various other display sections with no obvious logic. It would also make sense to organise them by nation and theatre, but apart from WW1 this didn't seem to have been tried when I was last there.

Regards,

MikB

There are probably at least 5 or 6 narratives that could be used at the museum and the lineage of the British tanks is indeed one (and I would agree with you that it does go as far as CR2). I guess they can't tell all the stories at the same time so they have had to cherry pick.

Yes, it is open. I've been in a couple of times. I am not sure if you can walk around, when I first went in we had to look from the upstairs viewing platform.

Thank you; it's back on the list for another visit, then (not that it was ever off, of course!).

There is a massive collection at the French cavalry training school at Samur on the Loire

Yes, it's a cracking collection that is larger overall but has fewer tanks than Bovington.

I think Bovington has the largest collection of tanks although the total number of AFVs in France's Tank Museum in Saumur is greater (800) than that in Bovington (300). I think Kubinka has a similar number of AFVs as Bovington. The Israeli and German museums are of a similar size (approx 100 AFVs). The US museum is tiny in comparison. I haven't been to any others so can't comment further.

• 3 months later...

Work is underway to produce a new exhibition covering the tanks in action from 1916-18, looking at both vehicles and crewmen who fought in them,

This exhibition is due to open in March 2016 and the Museum is also refreshing the extant Trench Experience.

The new exhibition has just been announced - see http://www.tankmuseum.org/museum-online/bovart53330

It will open in time for the Easter Holidays

Some images here from a previous thread for those who might be interested. :thumbsup:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=207272&hl=bovington