Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12648 Pte Justin Gurd, 6th (Service) Bn Wiltshire Regiment

lascamelias

This soldier's medal card shows he served in the Balkans (qualifying date 12 August 1915) and was awarded 15 Star medal, but so far as I can see, the 6th Battalion weren't in Gallipoli - but the 5th Bn were. Haven't been able to find soldier's effects or much else. I presume he could have been in any other regiment originally, not necessarily the Wilts. Can anyone offer any ideas? Thank you.

LC

Although he was 6Bn when he died, he was probably 5 Bn prior to this and was then posted to 6 Bn. The medal roll may show the batallions he served in to confirm this. His medal index card should shown the Regiment he first went overseas with as this would be shown on his medals, but the medal index card does not usually show the batallions served in

Thanks butler. Now found medal rolls and he is listed as 5th Bn Wilts on 15 Star Roll. Should've gone to specsavers.

LC

Hi LC,

The British War Medal and Victory Medal Roll does show that he was previously with the 5th Battalion. The Soldiers' Effects record is under the transcribed surname of "Gural"

The website http://startx.co.uk:2317/FootGurd?i=3153 might help with some of the men you are researching. Justin was my grandfathers 7th cousin. I haven't done any research on him though.

Regards

Chris

He is in a casualty list published by the Western Daily Press on 6th September 1915, under a wounded and missing section, and shown as a 5th Battalion man at that time. The list is based on a report of 19th August 1915.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris, I think you have convinced me he was originally 5th Bn !!! I was invited to Gold Hill Museum in Shaftesbury yesterday to see how they are putting together their WW1 Exhibition. Very professional. It's only a small museum but they gained a lottery grant for this. Two of the descendants who have given detailed accounts of their Grandfather's time in the war are actually on the Semley War Memorial, and one in particular had at least a dozen original photographs of his grandfather in various locations during the war. Semley has always been closely attached to Shaftesbury due to its geographical location right on the border. One of the archivists working on the exhibition is hopeful I may be allowed to use some of those photos. Fingers crossed. I'm not sure when the exhibition goes public, I thought it was October, but not sure now.

Jan

Although he was 6Bn when he died, he was probably 5 Bn prior to this and was then posted to 6 Bn. The medal roll may show the batallions he served in to confirm this. His medal index card should shown the Regiment he first went overseas with as this would be shown on his medals, but the medal index card does not usually show the batallions served in

His war gratuity suggests September 1914 as an enlistment date.

Craig

Thank you Craig, you obviously anticipated a request!

LC

I hadn't even noticed it was you who had posted Jan - I just tend to add the info as standard these days.

As an aside - The estimator (still a work in progress) I mentioned in the PM is now available on my site - https://wargratuity.wordpress.com/

Craig