Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Three McDonough Brothers, WW1, Which regiments/units?

ccullen

Hello

I am starting some research on my grandmothers three brothers who served on WW1.

I will upload photos.

What I know is that, one died, one returned to Dublin and lived his life out in Grangegorman Hospital, one became a chelsea pensioner.

Their names are Patrick (b. 1889), James (b.1892), Thomas (b.1894)

I want to try to identify their units to start my research, any help much appreciated

Dave

Thomas McDonough, 388, Connaught Rangers, Private, Born Dublin, Enlisted, Dublin, Residence Dublin. Killed in action 22/08/1915 aged 23, Son of Mrs Annie McDonough, 53 Marlborough Street, Helles Memorial, Panel 181 to 183.

First Image, the lad on the right is Royal Arthillery.

Three lads in image 2 are wearing the uniform and cap badge of the Irish National Army, post 22.

Judging by the look of it (the cap and the collar badges worn by an o.r.), I'd say the first picture is post Great War.

Grangegorman Hospital was a mental hospital, the site is being redeveloped including a museum which holds the Admissions registers. the website is a work in progress , but it may be possible to gain access to the registers. The patient would very likely have qualified for a war disability pension.

Thanks very much, museumtom, steven, murrough and old scalyback, that gives us a very good start

We will follow up with those suggestions and let you know how we get on

all the best

A candidate for James who was a 11385 Royal Dublin Fusilier and PoW according to the International Red Cross would be:-

Private 4385 James McDonagh, Royal Dublin Fusilier Prisoner 27th August 1914.

References PA8719 and PA10782

Document PA8719 (Dated ?? March 1917)

http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/4712866/1872/8719/

He was captured at Ligny on the 27th August 1914 and held at Limburg.

His date of birth was the 9th June 1891.

Next of kin was Mrs McDonough, of 28 Charles Street, Dublin.

Document PA10782 (Dated 23rd March 1917)

http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/4712866/1872/10782/

Serial number 4385. Still held at Limburg. Born 9th June 1891 at Dublin.

Next of kin was Mrs McDonough, 27 Fishumble Street, Dublin.

James MacDonagh, Private Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Captured at Ligny.

Document PA784 (Dated 3rd October 1914). He was being held at Senne.

http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/1506528/1872/784/

regards,

Peter

Edited by PRC

Thank you so much Peter.

I wasn't even aware of this wonderful POW site, and you have nailed it perfectly.

This is definitely my great uncle James McDonough, as we have other documents with both of those home addresses.

I am really looking forward to finding out more, captured so early in the war, and maybe being witness to the Casement story,

thanks again

Dave

That would make him a 2nd Battalion man then.

According to the Long Long Trail site they arrived at Boulogne on the 22nd August 1914 and first saw action at Le Cateau on the 26th. Although successful in that a large number of German troops were held up, not all the troops received the subsequent order to fall back and were cut-off and captured.

http://www.1914-1918.net/dubs.htm

http://www.dublin-fusiliers.com/battaliions/2-batt/campaigns/1914-retreat-mons.html

On an off chance I also checked to see if he appears on the 1911 census for England and Wales - this was the first census in which military units serving anywhere in the world, (except Scotland and Ireland which had their own censuses), were also included. However the only likely match I could find was a 20 year Rifleman James MacDonough from Clonmell,Ireland, who was recorded in Camp at Shorncliffe, Kent. I say however, as his unit appears to be K R Rifles, (i.e King's Royal Rifle Corps) not the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

• 2 years later...

A recent update, matching some more recent family photos to these images and other family research

picture 3, appears to be the Cullen brothers (see my other post)

The man at the back, is most likely Patrick Cullen, of the Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers, (10213) an acting lance corporal. 

The man to the left, is my grandfather, Christopher Cullen, Leinster regiment 4644 (transferred to Royal Irish Regiment, Lewis gunner), and the man to the right is the third brother, Thomas Cullen Leinster Regiment 4651.

The image would date prior to 28 Aug 1916 as patrick was killed in action that day. The image may date to c.Aug/Sep 1915, as all three soldiers were in Dublin at that time, Patrick married in Dublin in August 1915, Christopher married in Dublin in Sept 1915 and Thomas was in Dublin recuperating from a gun shot would to his leg (possibly why he is sitting down).

I have also recently discovered that my grandfathers mothers name was Anne Wynne not Anne Byrne and that she too, had three or four brothers in the British army.

William Wynne Royal Dublin Fusiliers, T/25466, ET52608, (his records are in the burnt collection, he reinlisted in 1919 and died in 1922 (still looking into this).

Patrick Wynne Royal Irish Fusiliers 18510. Still trying to track down another brother Cornelius Wynne and possibly Christopher Wynne.

We believe that Patrick Wynne and Christopher Wynne and the youngest Cullen brother William Cullen (too young for the Great War) served in the Irish national army post 1922, so they may be the guys in the second photo. 

Just wondering if any of the images would support these stories.

29 minutes ago, ccullen said:

Still trying to track down another brother Cornelius Wynne and possibly Christopher Wynne.

Assuming he served in a Theatre of War and given that the MIC's were handwritten, you might want to take at look at your genealogy resources for a Private 3/15706 "Camillus" Wynne, Royal Irish Rifles.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6037976

There are MIC's for two Christopher Wynne's (Royal Dublin Fusiliers and Irish Guards) and two C. Wynne's.

Great work with the photo - putting a name to a face, (and a face to a name), is one of the best bits of family research.

All the best,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Reworded to make clearer