Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dockyard workers were civil servants...

russellf97

While researching the family tree, I found a 2nd cousin who was recorded as a shipwright in the 1901 census (place of work not known), but was a shipwright in the Royal Dockyard, Devonport in 1911.

I also came across a Civil Service Proof of Age document on Findmypast for him dated 1904, so from that it would seem dockyard workers were classed as civil servants. Has anyone else come across anything like this?

Of course they were civil servants. Dockyard workers in non-privatised jobs still are.

Industrial civil servants, of course, with different regulations and salaries to non-industrial civil servants. The crossover point from one to the other has varied from time to time.

Surely its pretty clear that people employed by the Crown to work in Royal Dockyards were civil servants (the definition is wider than just being a person employed by the government to sit behind a desk doing administrative and clerical work).

Michael

Thank you for those robust replies gentlemen. I had thought things may have been different a hundred years ago, obviously not!