Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Cards

Guest KimB

Hi

Have just downloaded my first medal card and have been recommened to this site by someone from the another site.

I am a bit confused and need help.

On the card for Henry W BRAND it states under corp Essex R then private then a regimental no.276287.

The next line says RE and another regimental no then RE again and another regimental number on the next line.

In the medal columns RE and a no in victory and british.

Sorry to be a bit thick but have order the card and don't know where to go next and what the info is actually telling me.!!!!

Welcome to the Forum Kim.

RE is the abbreviation for Royal Engineers.

The number by the British War Medal and Victory Medal will be page references to the actual Medal Rolls held at the National Archives (The downloadable MICs are only index cards).

These rolls sometimes give additional info.

If you can post a scan of the MIC, one of our experts may be able to make useful comment.

Kim,

Harry Brand served in a theatre of war some time after 01/01/1916. He was first in the Essex Regiment, and then transfered to the Royal Engineers. He qualified for a British War Medal and a Victory Medal. The first number is his service number with the Essex Regiment. The other two are his Royal Engineer service numbers. I don't know what the WR prefix stands for, but I'm sure someone on the forum will.

Regards

Gavin