The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy service number change?

crackingbloke

Good evening all.

I am looking for service papers for an Edward Price. He was lost when HMS Charybdis was sunk in 1943 but his family say he enlisted as a Boy aged 16 1/2. As he was born on 1st Jan 1900 even I could work out when this would have been, so I checked out ancestry for his service. I found a set of papers that fit perfectly but have the service number J43624 they go on to say he transferred on 30 may 1919 to acting stoker. When he was losthe was a PO Stoker but the service number was D/K60321.

I am quite convinced this is the same man,, date and place of birth, age when enlisted etc. But the number change confusees me. Your advice please.

Guy

He originally enlisted as a seaman ('J' prefix to his official number J.43624). The Fleet Air Arm Museum have his original engagement (enlistment) papers, which would include Parental Consent papers. On transfer to stoker he would have been given a new official number K.60321('K' prefix for stoker). The 'D' prefix indicates his Home Port Division was Devonport.

He re-entered the Navy on December 14th 1922 and was given the number K60321. There are two separate record sheets for Edward on Find my Past.

Bob