Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin L15

Andrew Hesketh

An example of the medallion mentioned in posts #9 - #12.

Inscribed to Corporal C. Brown

[source not recorded]

Mark

Zeppelin L15 Medallion.jpg

Edited by MAW

"Is it of any interest or value to anyone? "

Hi James

Souvenirs made from parts of WW1 Zeppelins are very collectable. Does the metal feel very light - like aluminium?

Ian

22 minutes ago, MAW said:

[source not recorded]

Mark

Zeppelin L15 Medallion.jpg

22 minutes ago, MAW said:

[source not recorded]

Mark

Hi Mark - that's a nice one. Is it yours?

Ian

• 1 year later...

Hi  

I have just come across this forum while researching the Wakefield medal. My great great uncle was one of the gunners awarded the medal. His name was Gunner John Julyan although they mis-spelled his name on the medal spelling it  Julian. I am lucky enough to have inherited the medal. Thought it may be of interest.

image.png.827b47275825578f3937faa65f2bc126.png 

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark

Apologies for the delay but I have only just seen your post. That is a lovely example of the medal. Do you know what unit your great great uncle belonged too and where he was based? Was he a gunner or a searchlight man?

Aspern

Searchlights were operated by the Royal Engineers. In this case it would have been a detachment of the London Electrical Engineers.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Apologies, I've just relaised it says 'Gunner' on the medal so he was an artilleryman. Do you know where he was based orwhich gun he was attached to?

• 2 months later...

Hello there, My Grandfather was also a recipient of the Sir Charles Wakefield Medal.  I don't know much about regiment he was with but  I know he enlisted aged 17 in 1915.  I have a few pics of his regiment so if anyone can shed any light on it that would be great.  I have attached a picture of him along with his regiment, also pics of the crew of the doomed airship alsong with artwork of the zeppelin.    The medal is in our family possession I am very proud to say.  My Grandfather did not talk much about his time in WW1

L15.jpg

L15 2.jpg

L15 3.jpg

L15 4.jpg

L15 5.jpg

It might be of interest to you, I have researched the Royal Navy Salvage section records and RFA Anchorite was sent to see what could be recovered off L15.

Apparently the Admiralty were particularly concerned with recovering the gondolas and any contents.

It is not clear if they did this but it is likely that they were looking for radio codebooks for Room 40 plus anything else of course.

ADM 116/1504

Salvage Record No. 3

• 2 months later...
On 11/05/2015 at 13:16, BERN160 said:

Hi Eddie

Many thanks for photo, first time seen same, will try to enlarge. We are intending to hold exhib. next year for 100th Anniv. of the action because of the Purfleet connection, we have two of the medals and are hoping to put a nice collectiom of memorabilia together

Many thanks

Bernard

See the book ZEPPELIN L15 & THE WAKEFIELD GOLD MEDAL  WHICH LISTS 244 RECIPIENTS OF THE MEDAL.

On 12 November 2019 at 17:45, Talesofaseadog said:

Apparently the Admiralty were particularly concerned with recovering the gondolas and any contents.

It is not clear if they did this but it is likely that they were looking for radio codebooks for Room 40 plus anything else of course.

According to Paul Gannon's book 'Inside Room 40', code books were recovered from the Zeppelin.

17 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

According to Paul Gannon's book 'Inside Room 40', code books were recovered from the Zeppelin.

You would have thought the book would be in the archives then, as the one from UC-44 was.

Tony

I have concerns over the code book said to have been recovered from UC-44 in that it appears never to have been water damaged.

1 hour ago, KizmeRD said:

I have concerns over the code book said to have been recovered from UC-44 in that it appears never to have been water damaged.

There is only a little water damage admittedly but there are many other items recovered at the same time, some of these are much more damaged. Personally I am convinced that they are genuine.

Tony

There is a piece of L15 on display at Bletchley Park in the small WW1 section near the entrance.

Tony

Dear Tony,

Tales of a Seadog,  that is a nice title, mine is Simpleton because I am dyslexic.

I have often thought about going to Bletchley Park because They employed dyslexic’s to break the German codes.

But I am sure that you knew that. I did touch on that subject in my 1st book aptly named DUNCE OR DYSLEXIC.

I am sending you the cover of Zeppelin L15 and The Wakefield Gold Medal. I also write in it about The Agamemnon and the

LZ85 at Salonika. I own the compass which I am now selling through Dominic Winter Auctions.

You might like to know about the SPIES IN VUNG TAU  they sailed the GL WATSON ‘RAINBOW’  around Indochina

and very few people know that.

The L15 book is on Ebay.

I was in the Merchant Navy for three yrs and The Royal Engineers for 3.5yrs.

Got to go, lots to do. Bernard.