Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prinsen Medals

Khaki

Do German prinsen medals such as the wound badge (silver) serve the same purpose (mess dress), as British miniatures do, or are they for civilian dress?

khaki

post-29707-0-05470700-1439822961_thumb.j German wound badge center amongst British miniatures (for scale)

I am not quite certain what you mean but there are many photographs of Germans in uniform with ribbons only instead of full medals but with the regular (full-size) 'wound' badge.

As far as I remember, the German minis were worn on Civvies, though I could not 100% rule out use on mess dress as well.

I am not quite certain what you mean but there are many photographs of Germans in uniform with ribbons only instead of full medals but with the regular (full-size) 'wound' badge.

Sorry if I was not very clear with my question, but as I see it German medals are in three sizes

(1) full size (normally worn in uniform, military or political)

(2) prinsen about half size

(3) miniatures, generally worn on a stick pin or a watch chain (civilian)

What was the purpose of the prinsen size of medal?

regards

khaki

Well, to be honest, I have never come across the term 'prinsen' before and a quick search of Google deutsch gave no results...

Hello Julian

It may be spelt Prinzen, I don't know whether that is a collectors term or a German word, but it is well known amongst medal collectors.

regards

khaki