Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW's at Murren in Switzerland

Paddy Jackson

The officers were all held at the Palace Hotel according to the book "Captured" by John Harvey Douglas

http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_text/Captured_1000500950/173

The book can also be downloaded here for free:

http://www.forgottenbooks.com/books/Captured_1000500950

Charlie

Edited by charlie2

The officers were all held at the Palace Hotel according to the book "Captured" by John Harvey Douglas

Charlie

Charlie Thankyou so much. Are there any photos of men at this hotel. My Dad's pow journey is now virtually complete. I just have to finish writing it all up. Massive thanks to all on the Great War forum who have made this possible. 101 years ago tomorrow he was wounded at Audregnies. 100 years ago he was in Fort Sarbinowo /Fort Zorndorf at Custrin the Coldidz of WW1. The Cheshire Regiment comemerate the Action at Audregnies on the 24th August every year. You can follow this on Facebook page 'Cheshires monument at Audregnies'. If pm me with your email I will send you a copy of my dad's pow story and of the 11 camps he visited on 16 occasions in his three and a half years in captivity. 'Captured' is a very enlightening account of life at Murren. Amazing how this all fits in with the story. Might even get a copy. Thanks for the head up on it. Paddy

My great uncle was interned at Murren, having arrived there from Gottingen POW camp. He lived first in the Regina Hotel, later in the Alpenruh, and left a detailed account which I am currently reviewing. I could try to answer specific questions, but he only names a limited number of other internees. He doesn't mention problems caused by the height of the resort but has something to say about the relative standards of food. The YMCA hut was opened in about Sep 16.

My great uncle was interned at Murren, having arrived there from Gottingen POW camp. He lived first in the Regina Hotel, later in the Alpenruh, and left a detailed account which I am currently reviewing. I could try to answer specific questions, but he only names a limited number of other internees. He doesn't mention problems caused by the height of the resort but has something to say about the relative standards of food. The YMCA hut was opened in about Sep 16.

Hi Would definitely be interested to hear more. Do you have photos? What regiment and when was he there? Been doing some digging and am already building up quite a picture of life at Murren as an internee. Look forward to hearing from you. Please pm me if you have stuff you could email. Paddy

Paddy,

My great uncle was with the 1st Canadian Division. He fought at St. Julien in April 1915, was wounded, captured and went to Gottingen via hospital. His wound did not heal quickly so in early 1916, he was deemed eligible for the internment scheme (plenty on line as to how this wartime agreement came about). He was processed through the POW camp at Mannheim and reached Switzerland in August 1916, one of the first. There were a number of towns in Switzerland that were used to house internees. The Swiss were happy to rent winter sports hotels to the Allies for this purpose as they were empty because of the war. My great uncle mentions the following hotels as being used: Regina, Des Alps, Palace, Grand, Kurhaus, Jungfrau, Belleview, Eiger, Alpenruh, Edelweiss, Alpina. There were about 400 officers and men in Murren.

The internees were 'free' and paid, but wore uniform and were under Swiss military law, with Swiss commandants and Senior British Officers (SBOs). They were not allowed to travel home but visits were allowed by relatives. My great uncle's sister visited him there in the autumn 1916. He was there for about two years, occupying himself with some fatigues, such as snow clearing, but also establishing clubs, hiking, conducting DIY to improve the accommodation, and getting up plays and reviews. They received a number of VIP visitors, had a YMCA hut and a cinema, and were well-served by chaplains. Some married local girls. Nevertheless, life was enclosed and frustrating. In 1918, the Spanish flu hit Switzerland, and some men who had endured so much, tragically died of the disease.

Repatriation started in 1917, I think, of the most badly wounded who could no longer take part in the war and my great uncle was one of the last to leave in December 1918, returning via England to Canada.

I have no photos, but there are plenty on line.

Here are a few websites that I have found useful:
http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/ - gives you some names of POWs in Germany who later found themselves in Switzerland.
https://archive.org/stream/britishinternedi00pico- page/n5/mode/2up - post-war book written by Lieutenant Colonel H. P. Picot C.B E., Military Attaché in Berne, and British Officer-in-Charge of the interned In Switzerland.
As I am researching the 1st Canadian Division, this book has a few pages of useful information about internment in Switzerland: Morton, Desmond. ‘Silent Battle - Canadian Prisoners of War in Germany 1914-1919’, Toronto, Lester Publishing Ltd, 1992.
Finally, as I said, I am reviewing my great uncle's memoirs. Should I deem them worthy of publishing, I will alert Forum members as to how to access them.
Do ask any more specific questions, if you have them.
Regards,
Acknown

Just realised I haven't located the Heidelberg PoW camp. Used mainly as a transit camp and assessment centre by Swiss medical Board prior to internment in Switzerland. Does anyone know the where abouts and whether the buildings still exist.

According to Penelope Hope in 'The map of the Main Prison camps of Germany and Austria' it was about 4 miles from the town.

Paddy

• 1 month later...

Are then any photos or details of the hotels in Murren where they were billetted.

Do we know why Murren was selected as a destination for internees prior to repatriation?

Hi

I have just seen your post.

I am researching Ezra Wood, Royal West Kent who was repatriated to Switzerland 13th Sep 1917 and was billetted at the Regina Hotal.

Hope this helps

Regards

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi

Many thanks for the Link to "Switzerland 1914-1918", it seems to be very interesting!

You can find British soldiers/officers interned in Switzerland who married in Berne here:

Intelligenzblatt für die Stadt Bern (official newspaper of the City of Berne)

http://intelligenzblatt.unibe.ch/Default/Skins/BernA/Client.asp?Skin=BernA&AppName=2&AW=1449186094545

Here are some of them:

Trauungen (Marriages) vom 22. Mai 1917

Munyard Herbert David, Lance Korporal East Surreys, zurzeit internierter Kriegsgefangener in Mürren, ledig von London, mit Carpenter Emma Florence, ledig von London.

Barnes Cyril Preston, Korporal im Lincolnshire Regiment, zurzeit internierter Kriegsgefangener in Mürren, ledig von London, mit Ridgers Daisy Annie, ledig von Ryde, Insel Wight.

Wellings William Thomas, Soldat Northumberland Füsilier, zurzeit internierter Kriegsgefangener in Mürren, von Newcastle upon Tyne (England), mit Clee Agnes, ledig von Ferriby (England).

Intelligenzblatt vom Samstag, 26.05.1917

Trauungen (Marriages) vom 23. Mai 1917

Bird Thomas, Korporal, Kings Own Royal Lancashire, zurzeit internierter Kriegsgefangener in Mürren, ledig, von Levens (England), mit ??wood, Isabella, ledig von Levens.

Plumridge Edmund, Soldat der 1. Riffle Brigade, zurzeit internierter Kriegsgefangener in Mürren, ledig, von Wycombe (England), mit Harris Mabel Ellen, ledig von Combroke (England).

Taylor Jack Berry, Soldat im 4. Leiceshire Regiment, zurzeit internierter Kriegsgefangener in Mürren, ledig, von Leicester (England) mit Wilinson Agnes, ledig von Leicester (England).

Intelligenzblatt vom Samstag, 26.05.1917

Hochzeit (Marriage) vom 3. September 1917

Reynolds Robert, Schriftsteller, Gefreiter im 2. Bat. Inniskilling Fusiliers, ledig, von Londonderry (Irland) zurzeit internierter Kriegsgefangener in Bern,

mit Hames Marie Joseph Lucienne, Artistin, ledig von Huy (Belgien), Gerechtigkeitsgasse 30, Bern

Intelligenzblatt vom Freitag, 07.09.1917

Simpson John, Soldat im Gordon Highlander Regiment, zurzeit internierter Kriegsgefangener in Lausanne, ledig, schottischer Staatsangehöriger,

mit Good Jane, Bureauangestellte, ledig, schottische Staatsangehörige, getraut in Lausanne.

Intelligenzblatt vom Mittwoch, 12.09.1917

20. September. Middleditch Robert Henry, Offizier der britischen Armee, zurzeit als internierter Kriegsgefangener in Mürren, ledig, von Cromford (England),

mit Schenk Dorothea Elisabeth, ledig, von Calcutta (Indien).

Intelligenzblatt vom Montag 24.09.1917

This could be the same Robert Henry Middleditch:

http://www.ww1-yorkshires.org.uk/html-files/photos-m.htm

Trauung am 18.05.1918

McKelvey Frederick Roy, Soldat im 7. Canadian-Regiment, ledig von Gladstone (Kanada)

zurzeit internierter Kriegsgefangener in Mürren, mit Wise Ursula Gertrude, ledig, von Almvick (England)

Intelligenzblatt vom Mittwoch 22.05.1918

He can be found in the Canadian "Soldiers of the First World War" Database (Library and Archives Canada)

Trauung am 31.05.1918

Cronin William Stephen, Maurer (Mason), Soldat im 1. Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry Regiment,

zurzeit internierter Kriegsgefangener in Mürren, ledig (unmarried), britischer Staatsangehöriger,

mit Stäger Emma, ledig (unmarried), von Lauterbrunnen (situated near Mürren).

Intelligenzblatt vom Dienstag 04.06.1918

Regards

Svenja

Charlie

The book Captured is also available on Archive.org , which contains photographs, which do not appear to be contained in the Forgotten Books version

https://archive.org/details/captured00doug

Mürren photographs facing page 158, facing page 166, facing page 174, facing page 188

Cheers

Maureen

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know exactly where the POW's were interned in Murren prior to repatriation. What is the best source for finding out a bit more about this. What were conditions like? Were they still prisoners and how and by what route did they normally get back to UK. This was the last stop on my Dad's journey as a POW. Any info would be great help!

Hi

I have just seen your email about POW interned at Murren.

I am researching L-C Ezra Wood of the 8th Royal West Kent Regiment. He was transferred to Switzerland 11 Aug 1916 and stayed at the Hotel Regina. Just before his repatriation to England he was moved to Vevey.

I hope this helps

Tony

Hi

I have just seen your email about POW interned at Murren.

I am researching L-C Ezra Wood of the 8th Royal West Kent Regiment. He was transferred to Switzerland 11 Aug 1916 and stayed at the Hotel Regina. Just before his repatriation to England he was moved to Vevey.

I hope this helps

Tony

Thanks Tony

Just out of interest what rank was L C Wood. Presumbably Lance Corporal? Is that correct? I have learned that the officers generally stayed at the Palace Hotel.

Paddy

One aspect of Murren is the connection with British Skiing and the Kandahar Ski Club, (and also here ) named after a trophy presented by Lord Roberts of Kandahar. The Kandahar Ski Club was formed in Murren in 1924.

One of the oldest British ski clubs in the world, it was formed by Arnold Lunn (later Sir Arnold) and other British Skiers. It ran its famous 'Inferno' race for the first time in 1928 - a race that is still held annually. The Kandahar Club had strong military connections and still does. Pre war, Arnold Lunn had been a mountaineer and skier, but during the Great War had served with the British Red Cross (MIC), first in France then later in Switzerland. At some stage his work took him to Murren where he worked with POWs. Interestingly he taught many to ski in the mountains.

Of relevance to the POWs this might be of interest:

Ski Tours with the British Interned

Switzerland in Wartime

Both were written by Arnold Lunn.

Murren has dramatic scenery. Anyone who skis might consider this destination as part of their extended Great War interest. The area has a long connection with the British, and I think this is very likely to have stared with the POWs and Lunn's recreational work with them. Another part of the Great War's more positive legacies.

MG

One aspect of Murren is the connection with British Skiing and the Kandahar Ski Club, (and also here ) named after a trophy presented by Lord Roberts of Kandahar. The Kandahar Ski Club was formed in Murren in 1924.

One of the oldest British ski clubs in the world, it was formed by Arnold Lunn (later Sir Arnold) and other British Skiers. It ran its famous 'Inferno' race for the first time in 1928 - a race that is still held annually. The Kandahar Club had strong military connections and still does. Pre war, Arnold Lunn had been a mountaineer and skier, but during the Great War had served with the British Red Cross (MIC), first in France then later in Switzerland. At some stage his work took him to Murren where he worked with POWs. Interestingly he taught many to ski in the mountains.

Of relevance to the POWs this might be of interest:

Ski Tours with the British Interned

Switzerland in Wartime

Both were written by Arnold Lunn.

Murren has dramatic scenery. Anyone who ski's might consider this destination as part of their extended Great War interest. The area has a long connection with the British, and I think this is very likely to have stared with the POWs and Lunn's recreational work with them. Another part of the Great War's more positive legacies.

MG

Thanks Martin very interesting.

Will take a look at these and might have to book a trip to Murren as I love sking.

Paddy

Thanks Tony

Just out of interest what rank was L C Wood. Presumbably Lance Corporal? Is that correct? I have learned that the officers generally stayed at the Palace Hotel.

Paddy

Paddy

Yes he was a Lance-Corporal

Tony

Thanks Martin very interesting.

Will take a look at these and might have to book a trip to Murren as I love sking.

Paddy

You wont be disappointed. It is one of the best places I have skied and many of the hotels that accommodated the POWs and their visiting families are still standing. Unless you are a member, I would recommend avoiding Kandahar week as the place gets booked up very early. MG

• 2 months later...

Thanks to Coldstreamer for site re wounded POWs sent to Chateau d'Oex. Does anyone know any more about specific locations in Chateau d'Oex used for internees? My Grandfather - Cheshire Regiment - was there during 1916-1917 and my first uncle born in Switzerland so I am also keen to understand how my grandmother was able to join her husband. Any parallel or relevant information would be most gratefully received!

Hello Susie,

There were a about 20 hotels used to intern soldiers in Château d'Oex. These included the Soldanelle, Trois Torrents, Grand Hotel and the Vieux Chalet in Rossiniere. We are organising a centenary event on 29 and 30 May in Château d'Oex to commemorate soldiers interned in Switzerland. We chose the date of 30 May, since the first batch of British soldiers arrived on this day in 1916.

There are already quite a few articles, papers and books on our website which you may find useful. Wives of soldiers were able to join there husbands, and you will see many photos of wives arriving at Chateau d'Oex and Mürren. See http://stpeters.ch/a-brief-history-of-st-peters/ww1-centenary-event-29-may-2016/

If I come across a more complete list of hotels, I'll post them here. Best regards, Guy

This from Joint War Committee of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John of Jerusalem 1921:

"Each camp at Chateau d'Oex and Murren had its Tailor's, Shoemaker's, and a Carpenter's shop. In addition, Murren started a Printing Office and Watch Repairing Shop, and Chateau d'Oex a Bookbinder's Shop. Classes of instruction were held in French, German, Spanish and Italian. Classes were also formed for Shorthand, Typewriting, Book-keeping, First Aid, Toy making, Bead chain making, Electric wiring, Surveying, Wood-carving and Motor Mechanics". All this was inaugurated in 1916.

In addition 40 NCOs and men from Chateau d'Oex and Murren were selected by senior British officers for a six month course in hotel-keeping at Lausanne. In 1917 a class in carpet making was started at Lake Thun by a Mrs Cooke Daniels and a Miss Martin at their own expense. The Motor Mechanics school, at Murren was expanded in February 1917 and moved to larger premises at Vevey. The Murren school was then for preliminary training prior to the three month course at Vevey. This was repeated at the Chateau d'Oex school.

TR

Terry, This is very interesting. Do you know where I could get a copy of the report you quote here? We are looking for records for our WW1 Centenary in Chateau d'Oex on 29 and 30 May. More info from http://stpeters.ch/a-brief-history-of-st-peters/ww1-centenary-event-29-may-2016/ Guy

Terry, This is very interesting. Do you know where I could get a copy of the report you quote here? We are looking for records for our WW1 Centenary in Chateau d'Oex on 29 and 30 May. More info from http://stpeters.ch/a-brief-history-of-st-peters/ww1-centenary-event-29-may-2016/ Guy

Guy

If you let me have an e mail address via the personal message system I will send you the relevant pages.

TR

If you can't get the report from any other sources, Naval and Military Press have a reprint edition. Currently there is an Easter sale until 11 April.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/voluntary-aid-rendered-to-the-sick-and-wounded-at-home-and-abroad-and-to-british_prisoners-of-war-1914-1919.html

Originally issued as :

Reports by the Joint War Committee and the Joint War Finance Committee of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St. John of Jerusalem in England on voluntary aid rendered to the sick and wounded at home and abroad and to British prisoners of war 1914–1919, with appendices, London 1921, HMSO

Cheers

Maureen

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bruce Taylor

I have a postcard of a group of ww1 soldiers outside the Jungfrau hotel if anyone is interested I will post on here let me know

I have a postcard of a group of ww1 soldiers outside the Jungfrau hotel if anyone is interested I will post on here let me know

Bruce

I'd love to see it! Presumably that the Jungfrau in Murren. Does it have any date anywhere. If you have any problems please pm me and I will send you my email.

Guest Bruce Taylor

Here is postcard of Jungfrau hotel not postal used but must be between 1916-18. Note the YMCA sign above door, dog also centre picpost-128056-0-52609400-1461878308_thumb.