Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th btn Coldstream Guards enter theatre 100 yrs ago

Coldstreamer

100 years on - this was the man I suspect ran the show, the RSM of the 4th Btn Coldstream Guards and a group of medals I am not only proud to own but also one I reunited as split into 3 parts

post-3871-0-57001600-1439649190_thumb.jp

Wow you should be proud, well done!

Sorry to be picky, but it looks as if he has a captain's pips on his shoulder, and that doesn't look like a Coldstream cap badge. Was he commissioned later?

Ron

Sorry to be picky, but it looks as if he has a captain's pips on his shoulder, and that doesn't look like a Coldstream cap badge. Was he commissioned later?

Ron

He was indeed commissioned and transferred out - but that wasnt on the 15th August :thumbsup:
LG 29th May 1916 shows commissioned from the Coldstream Guards as Serjt Major as of 19h April 1916 (corrected on 29th June 1916) into the Middlesex Regiment.
LG 5th July 1916 shows promotion to temporary Lieutenant and adjutant on 11th May 1916.
LG 6th January 1917 he relinquishes his temporary rank of Lieutant and his appointment as adjutant 2nd December 1916. Also shows appointed to 2nd Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers (Labour Battalion) as Lieutenant.
LG 21st June 1917 promoted to Acting Captain whilst commanding a company from 28th December 1916 to 7th May 1917.
LG 1st August 1917 made acting Lieutenant into Labour Corps.
LG 22nd November 1918 promoted acting Captain from 13th October 1918 whilst in command of a company.
LG 8th August 1924 ceases to belong to Reserve of Officers having attained the age limit of liability to recall.

and I have noticed that his victory / BWM are in the wrong places - the coronation at the front wasnt uncommon at that time

Hi Ian,

Just for completeness - am I correct in saying it is RSM Corner pictured? His replacement was RSM Ellis - per Blacker's book.

Regards

Steve

Yes that's him