Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private L Tomlinson - 41 Bn. M.G.C.

Ray Tomlinson

Unfortunately, Private Tomlinson's war records didn't survive WW2. Undeterred, I am still trying to follow his progress through WW1 with the info I do have. Can someone please confirm the difference between "Attestation" and "Call up".

I have his "Certificate of Transfer to Reserve on Demobilisation" which indicates that he "Attested" on 26 Feb 1917 and was "Called up for Service" on 31 Mar 1917. From this I'm assuming that he spent the month between the two dates in basic training and headed for France/Belgium at the end of March?

His MIC is no help in this respect but I recall a conversation with him (over 45 years ago) when he said that the first place he arrived at in France was a place called Steenvoorde. The 41st Bn. war diary conveniently indicates that the Bn. arrived in Steenvoorde on 5 Apr 1918 and “During the morning two large drafts arrived from the base making 5 officers and 205 men in all. These were posted to different companies and the the battalion was made over strength”

If my assumption is correct, I have the start of his service neatly sewn up.

Thanks

Ray

Ray

I'm not sure your logic stands up - it would leave a year between going to France and joining his unit.

The link Graham has posted will suggest he reported for training on the latter date and departed overseas at a later date.

Where have you got his unit from - this may be the last unit he served with but may not necessarily be the first. There is a large gap between his training and the formation of the 41st MG Battalion in early 1918.

Do you remember if he talked of serving in Italy?

Regards

Colin

Sorry Graeme/Colin, its my brain! They should all be 1918 which leaves a mere five days to get from (I think) Hornsea to Steenvoorde.

The 41st moved on from there to Ypres which also ties in with what I remember him telling me. We were on the way to look for his elder brother's grave in 1969 and, passing through Ypres, he said that the last time he was there it was just piles of rubble.