Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
alf mcm

New on Findmypast - Deserters and Absentees, Police Gazette, 1914-1919

Graham Stewart

Have just noticed - if you go to an actual image you'll find that those currently displayed are actually from my collection. Says at the bottom left "Images courtesy of Graham Stewart".

IPT

Thanks Craig but my Grandfather was born 1898, I had seen one on the search that had no Service number or Regiment with a birth date of 1901 so I discounted it.

Could you indulge me please, is there anything to tie him to the details I've posted?

Thanks

Sam

I only mentioned him because he was also from Coatbridge. Didn't know the age was wrong.

I can't view the image on my phone abroad.

Hywyn

Have just noticed - if you go to an actual image you'll find that those currently displayed are actually from my collection. Says at the bottom left "Images courtesy of Graham Stewart".

I had seen that Graham and it explained the North East highlighting that I had noticed before spotting your name. I was pondering how to raise it in order to answer a query up thread i.e are there more to come (by FMP)

I've searched for RWF men and got about 140+

It looks to me that this set are

17 11 1914

12, 19 and 25 1 1915

7 and 14 11 1916

5 12 1916

14, 21 And 28 10 1919

23 12 1919

Graham Stewart

I had seen that Graham and it explained the North East highlighting that I had noticed before spotting your name. I was pondering how to raise it in order to answer a query up thread i.e are there more to come (by FMP)

I've searched for RWF men and got about 140+

It looks to me that this set are

17 11 1914

12, 19 and 25 1 1915

7 and 14 11 1916

5 12 1916

14, 21 And 28 10 1919

23 12 1919

The ones in my collection are;-

11/8/14 - 17/11/14

12/1/15 - 19/1/15 - 26/1/15

7/11/16 - 14/11/16 - 5/12/16

28/10/19 - 18/11/19 - 25/11/19 - 23/12/19

Sadly I don't have anymore and only wish I did. I got hold of these many, many years ago and don't know of any others in private hands, but am led to believe that there are possibly two complete collections for the period - one in the British Newspaper Library and the other supposedly at Beamish Open Air Museum, but I've never been able to establish the latter as fact.

Maureene

The British Library's catalogue entry includes

Rights: Terms governing use: Current Copyright Fee: GBP12.30

Uniform Title: Police Gazette (London, England : 1858)

Identifier: System number 013943705

Notes: Closed for 75 years: Readers wishing to see issues published during the last 75 years should obtain written permission from the College of Policing. Ask at the enquiry desk for details.

Holdings Notes: 1858, 1877-2003 General Reference Collection HIU.LD4*

Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection 1858, 1877-2003 Issues published within the past 75 years are held in the safe HIU.LD4*

UIN: BLL01013943705

Cheers

Maureen

Hywyn

Thanks Graham

I'll have a play around and see how to get into 11 8 1914 and the two Nov 1919 ones (looks like they didn't have RWF men in them)

The extra that they have not in you list are 14 and 21 Oct 1919.

nhclark

I've had a quick look at this database. Perhaps only a fraction of the names are actually indexed? Either that or the search engine does not work the way I think it does, or the number of "Gazettes" included in the database is quite small.

There is the ability to browse the database, but I think the images are divided into sets according to the actual edition of the "Gazette", making it somewhat tricky to get from one edition to another.

This database looks to me to be rather typical to others recently released by the "Family History Web-site Industry" - without adequate covering information.

Graham Stewart

I've had a quick look at this database. Perhaps only a fraction of the names are actually indexed? Either that or the search engine does not work the way I think it does, or the number of "Gazettes" included in the database is quite small.

There is the ability to browse the database, but I think the images are divided into sets according to the actual edition of the "Gazette", making it somewhat tricky to get from one edition to another.

This database looks to me to be rather typical to others recently released by the "Family History Web-site Industry" - without adequate covering information.

As pointed out previously, those available are actually from my own small collection. It seems easier if you just go by Regiment/Corps name and not those of individuals and once into the Gazette imagery, you can then trawl through the pages. The 1916 issues have up to 20pages, which include Deserters under the Group System & Military Service Act - these men don't have units allocated to them, because they failed to turn up at the relevant receiving Depots and so were automatically deemed 'deserters' and as such it contains the names of 2,142 individuals.

What they seem to omit, is that the Police Gazette also includes Deserters from the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, R.F.C./R.A.F, as well as those reported as deserters/absentees who have rejoined their units - again these can be found by trawling through the imagery.

roughdiamond

Hi Craig and IPT

Thanks for the heads up guys, strange one, the man seems to be shown as Deserting from the "Recruiting Office" and coupled with the lack of Service number, the fact he's shown as Enlisted and Deserted the same day "15th September 1919" it suggests a man who turned up, took the sign on bonus and did one.

Although he is from Coatbridge, the age is 2 years out, in addition, my Grandfather got the War and Victory medals and has a Medal Roll entry so can't see it being him unless the Police Gazette has its facts wildly wrong. Strangely though the 1911 Census for Coatbridge only shows 1 x Patrick Daly aged 5 - 15 and it's my Grandfather aged 12.

Sam

agnos

I understand that there was an amnesty in the early 1950s for deserters from WW2 to come forward without punishment, so that the records could be corrected. Was there ever any such arrangement made for WW1 deserters?

ss002d6252

I understand that there was an amnesty in the early 1950s for deserters from WW2 to come forward without punishment, so that the records could be corrected. Was there ever any such arrangement made for WW1 deserters?

After ww1 deserters weren't generally pursued but there's doubt as to whether a pardon was ever given - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80131

Craig

David_Underdown

There also appear to be lists of men "Discharged for Misconduct" - see example.

Would these come under KRs? Can anyone decipher some of the Marks/Remarks in this example?

My best guess would be:

Brentnall - cross left forearm, pierced heart and flags - rt not sure if right thigh, or just right [arm], actually maybe flgs is an bbreviation for some part of body?

Briggs - ballet girl, snake left forearm bust of a man then flgs rt again as for Brentnal

Davidson - appendicitis operation scar

Moody - girl both forearms

Prentice - scar over right eye

Reeves - tatooed both forearms, ballet girl left

Welch - small scar over right eye.

chids

Just stumbled across this interesting record today which includes one of my ancestors 

William
Last name Daniels
Age 21
Birth year 1895
Birth place St. James, Dublin
Year 1916
Service number 8856
Unit/Regiment 4th Battalion
Regiment Royal Dublin Fusiliers
County Dublin
Country Ireland
Record set

British Army, deserters and absentees in Police Gazette 1914-1919

Just thought it was worth highlighting for others like me who might not have seen this record set.