Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New on Findmypast - Deserters and Absentees, Police Gazette, 1914-1919

alf mcm

A new set of records on Findmypast:-

British Army, Deserters and Absentees in Police Gazette 1914-1919

Containing over 13,000 records, Deserters and Absentees in Police Gazette 1914-1919 is comprised of lists of deserters and absentees published in Police Gazette during the First World War. The Gazette was primarily distributed to police forces around the British Isles and contained lists of persons wanted by police, missing or stolen objects, missing people and habitual criminals. During the war, it also provided lists of deserters and absentees from Britain’s armed forces. The lists were produced as a supplement every fortnight and most of the men listed were picked up and sent back to the army for court martial. Punishments could be severe but although execution was used in some cases it was not the norm. Some deserter’s evaded capture altogether, changed their name and went on to live a completely new life.

Each record contains and image and transcript of the original source material. Records list the soldiers name, age, regiment, service number and the date and location of their desertion. Unsurprisingly, many deserters went missing after a visit home so each deserter’s last known address is included. Listings also included a full physical description. Distinguishing features were often abbreviated for space: “sc” appears for “scar”, “ttd” for “tattoo,”etc.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks for alerting me to this.

Just had a look, it is possible to search on Regiment and year range without adding a name.

Mark

Thanks - I was just doing some work yesterday on a deserter too

well a quick look was a mixed bag - I know from memory about 10 coldstream deserters and only found one (a DCM winner and general bad 'un)

And some of those I cant find using "coldstream guards" are known to be in the Police gazette

more work needed me thinks to cross reference

Joy, though I maybe I'll get a rough idea of my Grandfather's Desertion date! but there is no sign of him. Is there a date in 1919 when the issue of the Gazette was ceased?

I know from Medal rolls that my Grandfather Patrick Daly (also checked Daley, Dailey and Daily as it's regulary mis-spelt), Gordon Highlanders was in Italy with the 7th Div who didn't return to the UK till 1919, the Medal Roll shows his War and Victory medals were forfeited for Desertion (they were re-issued in 1926), from his Service number, it's almost certain he didn't join his Bn till after they'd gone to Italy in Dec 1917 so the only conclusion is he Deserted on their and his return sometime in 1919.

Sam

well a quick look was a mixed bag - I know from memory about 10 coldstream deserters and only found one (a DCM winner and general bad 'un)

I get 77 results?

Joy, though I maybe I'll get a rough idea of my Grandfather's Desertion date! but there is no sign of him. Is there a date in 1919 when the issue of the Gazette was ceased?

I know from Medal rolls that my Grandfather Patrick Daly (also checked Daley, Dailey and Daily as it's regulary mis-spelt), Gordon Highlanders was in Italy with the 7th Div who didn't return to the UK till 1919, the Medal Roll shows his War and Victory medals were forfeited for Desertion (they were re-issued in 1926), from his Service number, it's almost certain he didn't join his Bn till after they'd gone to Italy in Dec 1917 so the only conclusion is he Deserted on their and his return sometime in 1919.

Sam

Sam - Any good? - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fpolicegazette%2f007330

I get 77 results?

I dont know the names of all 77 from the top of my head - Im good but not that good - sorry I can only name 10 :w00t:

to clarify I found ONE of those TEN I know to be deserters

maybe a re visit in a few weeks to see if more added ?

The Police Gazette generally only shows those that have deserted within the UK and not necessarily those who deserted whilst overseas. I have a small collection of Police Gazettes from 1914-1919, which make interesting reading as they also inlcude all of those who failed to turn up under the Group System and Military Service Act and whom are deemed to be 'deserters' and so by 1916 you have up to 20pages per fortnightly publication.

The Police Gazette generally only shows those that have deserted within the UK and not necessarily those who deserted whilst overseas. I have a small collection of Police Gazettes from 1914-1919, which make interesting reading as they also inlcude all of those who failed to turn up under the Group System and Military Service Act and whom are deemed to be 'deserters' and so by 1916 you have up to 20pages per fortnightly publication.

I was looking for my great uncle - Joseph Maddison Suddick - who deserted from the DLI in early April 1915 (and later enlisted in to the SWB) - but no luck.

Craig

Thanks for the heads up :)

Allison

Hi IPT

Sorry to ask but what's the link to? If it's an entry that lists my Grandfather, I'll shell out, just to clarify he was S/23445 Pte Patrick Daly 2nd Bn Gordon's and he was born 1898.

Link to a record for a Patrick Daly - born 1901.

Craig

Thanks Craig but my Grandfather was born 1898, I had seen one on the search that had no Service number or Regiment with a birth date of 1901 so I discounted it.

Could you indulge me please, is there anything to tie him to the details I've posted?

Thanks

Sam

• Admin

There also appear to be lists of men "Discharged for Misconduct" - see example.

Would these come under KRs? Can anyone decipher some of the Marks/Remarks in this example?

post-71872-0-93412300-1439572625_thumb.j

There also appear to be lists of men "Discharged for Misconduct" - see example.

Would these come under KRs? Can anyone decipher some of the Marks/Remarks in this example?

Interesting, I wonder if it was to allow a man to be identified if arrested as a suspected deserter.

Abbreviations -

"The Police Gazette was primarily distributed to police forces around the British Isles and contained lists of persons wanted by police, missing or stolen objects, missing people and habitual criminals. It also provided lists of deserters and absentees from Britain’s armed forces. During the First Wold War these lists were produced as a supplement every fortnight. Unsurprisingly, many deserters went missing after a visit home so each deserter’s last known address is included. Listings also included a full physical description. However, distinguishing features were often abbreviated for space: “sc” appears for “scar”, “ttd” for “tattoo,”etc. Parts of the body were also contracted, such as “frhead” (forehead), “frm” (forearm) or nck (neck). You will also find “bk” for back, “frt” for front and “rt” for right.

Most deserters and absentees were picked up and sent back to the army for court martial. Punishments could be severe but although execution was used in some cases it was not the norm. Some deserters evaded capture altogether, changed their name and went on to live a completely new life."

Craig

#15129 Ball - convicted of obtaining money under false pretences.

#16419 Barker - convicted of an offence before before enlistment.

Craig

Hi IPT

Sorry to ask but what's the link to? If it's an entry that lists my Grandfather, I'll shell out, just to clarify he was S/23445 Pte Patrick Daly 2nd Bn Gordon's and he was born 1898.

FMP is free for the 1st 14 days so no need to shell anything :thumbsup: