Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weymouth II

Susie H

Hello

I am researching Herbert Greenacre who was on TS/1700 HM Trawler Wymouth II Royal Naval Reserve. He died on 3 June 1915 and is buried in Milford Haven Cemetery.

I have found a website (www.naval-history.net) which has the Royal Navy Log Books of HMS Weymouth. In June 1915 this ship was on the eastern coast of Africa. Are HM Trawler Weymouth II and HMS Weymouth the same ships? I have my doubts as it seems strange to die in Africa yet be buried in Wales.

Elsewhere I have discovered that he drowned while serving on Weymouth II, a hired trawler, acting as a mine sweeper. Can anyone advise me what a 'hired trawler' was please.

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of shipping / sailors during WWI so would appreciate some guidance so that I can piece together where Herbert Greenacre was when he died and what his ship was doing at the time.

Thanks

Sue Harris

Hello Sue,

Different ships - HMS Weymouth was a light cruiser, whereas HMT Weymouth II was a hired trawler (used by the Admiralty as a minesweeper).

Michael

PS A hired trawler was not a regular built-for-purpose warship, but rather a civilian fishing vessel that was usefully employed by the navy for certain tasks during the war years.

WEYMOUTH II was a Bristol-registered trawler hired by the Admiralty on 7 January 1915 for minesweeping duties. After fitting out at HMS VICTORY (Portsmouth), she was based on HMS VIVID II at Devonport from 12 February 1915 and then on HMS SABRINA at Milford Haven from 14 March 1915. She moved to Kingstown (Dublin) in November 1917.

Trimmer Herbert Greenacre was drowned when his trawler was operating from Milford Haven.