Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Wilmshurst - Army Veterinary Corps

Passey

Dear All,

I am now on the trail of my 2x great grandfather, Harry Wilmshurst (1872-1929). He was an ex-marine (1890-1902) who, on the outbreak of the war, at the age of 42, joined the Army Veterinary Corps (SE/1061).

I have found his MIC and from this and his obituary published in the Sussex Agricultural Express I know he entered the Western Europe theatre of war on 26 November 1914, he was a corporal and at some point served in Italy.

I have had no luck finding a service record so I was wondering if there is any other way of finding out which Hospital, Mobile Veterinary Section, etc. he served with?

There is a photo of him in uniform here, in case that may help: http://www.passeyfamilytree.org.uk/showmedia.php?mediaID=51&medialinkID=67

Harry Wilmshurst: http://www.passeyfamilytree.org.uk/getperson.php?personID=I20&tree=passey1

As always your help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Simon

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestion and look-up. I did the same but with no luck with a number of family members.

How extensive is the absent voters list on find my past? For Sussex I just kept getting the Hastings district. Couldn't find a list of which absent voters lists were included though.

Might be worth checking the local record office and see what they hold.

Cheers

Simon

Hi all,

Just an update. I have been in contact with the East Sussex Record Office (The Keep) and unfortunately it doesn't appear that the absent voters lists remain for Rotherfield and Hailsham - the places I am interested in.

Cheers

Simon