Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMT Royal Edward

Gully Ravine

It is appropriate at this time to remember all those who were lost when HMT Royal Edward was sunk by torpedo en-route to Gallipoli on 13th August 1915.

The initial list of troops lost was published in The Times newspaper in September 1915 and was amazingly accurate in the circumstances.

In order to support the medal review campaign initiated by David Crampin and Jack Carlson, detailed research has been undertaken to establish a definitive list of the troops who were lost. The various lists previously available all seemed to contain some inaccuracies or inconsistencies and it is hoped that these have been addressed.

To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the significant loss of life and to pay tribute to all involved, no matter what their positon or reason for being on board, a list of the names and regiments of the 866 troops lost has been published via The Gallipoli Association’s website.

Please see: http://www.gallipoli-association.org/content/gallipoli-100/hmt-royal-edward

Keith

5745157259_9ecb2e3239.jpg

The SS Royal Edward was sunk in 1915 as the result of a submarine attack in the Aegean Sea. The Tower Hill Merchant Navy Memorial, London, records that a total of 131 Merchant Seamen were lost when the ship was sunk together with a large number of troops. The Roll of Honour in St Michael & All Angels Church Bristol records that this local Merchant Navy sailor died:

Henry Brown

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2979974/BROWN,%20HENRY

Nearly all the Essex Regiment men who died are said in various sources to have come from a draft of 300 men from the 3rd Battalion, Norfolk Regiment. This is reflected in many a town, village and parish war memorial throughout the County.

It was actually two drafts and it looks like it was men from the second draft I'm guessing who are shown as either Norfolk Regiment on their MiC's or have none at all.

We shall remember all those who lost their lives in this disaster,

regards,

Peter

• 11 months later...
Guest simonbennett50

Do we have records of those who survived? I think my grandad Alfred Woodworth may have been on the ship (I have a small badge of the boat). 

Dear GWFs,

Can anyone supply a picture of Captain B. C. Spaull, RNR, of HMT Royal Edward?

He is mentioned in my on-going manuscript about Capt. Cecil M. Spaull, Indian Army (87 Punjabis):- 

Early in the Great War, Alderman Spaull, O.O., was killed as the result of a street accident. He had already lost one son, the Rev. F. W. Spaull, Chaplain at Colet Court (Cecil’s father, as already mentioned), and within three months of his own death was to lose another son, Captain B. C. Spaull, RNR, who, after many successful voyages bringing over Canadian troops and taking others to India and the Dardanelles, was sunk on 13 August 1915 with his ship, HMT “Royal Edward” by UB-14 (Oblt. z. S. von Heimberg), in the Aegean Sea.

I have a photo of von Heimberg, but Spaull, who was either captain or one of the senior officers, none

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Evening Kim,

He appears on this site http://firstworldwaronthisday.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/1417-died-on-this-day-fri-13081915.html

as Chief Mate Barnard Charles Spaull, S.S. "Royal Edward" (Toronto), Mercantile Marine.

And the Tower Hill memorial site records him as the son of another man, not Capt. Cecil M. Spaull: http://www.londonremembers.com/memorials/mercantile-marine-memorial-ww1/inscriptions/10300

So it looks as if there may be a crossed wire somewhere, I'm afraid.

Chief Mate Barnard Charles Spaull, S/S 001158

Previous ship the Royal Edward, before on the Royal George.

His sister married a Mr. Bickerton.

Kath.

Edited by Kath

Dear seaJane and Kath,

Many thanks for your research: I will amend my manuscript accordingly to Chief Mate.

Actually I had already noticed that the Royal Edward had been captained by another officer, but based my assumption on an Oswestry School memoir, probably originally from the family.

The father of Chief Mate Barnard Charles Spaull, was the late Old Ostwestrian William Henry Spaull. Barnard Charles Spaull was the uncle of my former Indian Army Officer and Assam Tea Planter Cecil Mickelburgh Spaull (1898-1970).

Now all I need is a Group Photo of the Officers of the Royal Edward... 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 7 months later...

A roll of honour in Holy Trinity Church, Oswestry, refers to 'Captain Charles Spaull,' while the memorial plaque there simply lists him as 'Charles Spaull.'

The memorial in St Oswald's Church, Oswestry, has 'Charles Spaull R.N.R.,' while the Oswestry town memorial has him as Barnard C. Spaull.

Edited by BereniceUK

Dear Berenice, and GWFs,

The officer at right, was Barnard Charles Spaull.

Thanks for all your responses: much appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Kim.Barnard Charles Spaull First Mate  at right.jpg