Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canterbury Mounted Rifles

Marc Thompson

Are any forum pals able to suggest a detailed source of information on the movements of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles, part of the New Zealand Mounted Rifles Brigade (dismounted) NZEF at Gallipoli?

I have a copy of the service papers for a trooper that was killed at Anzac Cove in May 1915 and would like to find out some further details. Other than a few references in books such as 'Defeat at Gallipoli' I can't locate very much.

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Regards

Marc

Hi Marc

If you can get hold of it, in volume 2 of the Australian Official History, Bean details the movements of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles during May around the No.1,2 & 3 Outposts.

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers Andrew for that helpful pointer. Now all I need to do is keep my eyes open for Volume 2 on e-bay, abebooks and such like.

One further question - does anyone know where unit war diaries for New Zealand units are held and if so whether they can be accessed for research purposes?

Regards

Marc

Guest camjas

Ive some unit histories myself, but usally go into the research section of the public libraries for copies (Wellington has most) I can have a look and see if the Cant Mounted rifles are there if you like?

These are battalion histories, so not sure if you are after more detail when you ask about units.

Someday I will get to NZ Archives and hope to delve into more detail, hopefully to company level of the 1st Wellington and 4th Otago especially.

There are some good book shops around that have some of these histories, but I dont recall the cant mounted rifles at all.

I have one family member who was in the Cant mounted rifles killed august 28th august 1915 and his memorial is on Lone Pine

Bookfinder.com gives information on 4 or 5 copies of this book:-

POWLES, Charles Guy. (editor)

The History of the Canterbury Mounted Rifles, 1914-1919 By Officers of the Regiment.Publisher: Whitcombe and Tombs Ltd , Auckland 1928; Hb orig Red Cloth 101pp ,9 maps Vg Copy Sunned Spine Roll of Honour , H&A , Notes on Thorough-bred Horses Regt Diary -Aug 1914-July 1919. This N.Z. Unit Fought Dismounted at Gallipoli and Suffered horrendous losses. After Withdrawal Sent To Egypt where it fought in the mounted role. Very Scarce.

Least expensive was £172!!! IWM are almost certain to have a copy, I'd say.

Aren't the NZ war diaries kept in Kew too? I've looked at some there when I did the research for Gheluvelt...

Jan

Thanks for your suggestions and offers guys but Jan has come up trumps on this - I didn't imagine for a minute that the PRO would keep war diaries for NZ units but they do. WO 95/4353 and WO 95/4546 relate to the Canterbury Mounted Rifles. I'm going to Kew next week so the timing couldn't be better. Thanks Jan for the pointer.

Regards (and very much the wiser)

Marc

• 1 month later...
Guest Ian Topham

PLease contact me at ian.topham@nzdf.mil.nz

I work at the QEII NZ Army Museum

Waiouru

New Zealand

I am able to source Regimental Histories through the Kippenberger Library

Best Wishes

Ian Topham

You may also find the following useful:

Major Fred Waite

THE NEW ZEALANDERS AT GALLIPOLI.

Publisher: Whitcombe & Tombs, 1921

Vol. I of "Official History of New Zealand's Effort in the Great War"

Copies can be found for around £35 and upwards - it isa a fine and well illustrated volume. If I can find mine I will look and see what it says!

Thanks for your offer Ian, I have sent you a PM.

Martin - Although I now have the War Diary entries I would be interested in any further details concerning the relief and evacuation of No 3 post by CMR on 31st May 1915.

Marc