Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Wallington, MM date required, help needed please

stu

Can anyone please help me, I am currently researching the men on my local church memorial and I'm struggling to find the London Gazette date for the following man's MM.

Also, I know that the original citations no longer exist, but if anyone has info regarding the circumstances of his award I will be very grateful.

Pte G/9961 David James Wallington, 1st Middlesex Reg, died 24/06/1918

Many thanks

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

I think this is it:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30135/supplement/6025/data.pdf

It was a bit hard to find for some reason, and then I noticed that on the medal roll for the British Victory & War medals, the "M.M." appears to have been crossed out; I wondered if he had indeed received the award. But found the citation entry in the end.

Regards,

Chris

Edit: See below

Hello Stuart,

I think this is it:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30135/supplement/6025/data.pdf

It was a bit hard to find for some reason, and then I noticed that on the medal roll for the British Victory & War medals, the "M.M." appears to have been crossed out; I wondered if he had indeed received the award. But found the citation in the end.

Regards,

Chris

dont get too excited, Chris found the gazette entry NOT the citation

I still live in hope the MM citations will turn up one day for the Coldstream Guards

Ah, yes! Sorry. I meant entry, not the citation. Sloppy of me. Apologies.

Chris

A Gazette notification in June 1917 would indicate that the award was for an action in March /April 1917. Unfortunately the war diary appears to be absent for the month of April.

There is an account in the war diary of the presentation of the medal on 17.6.1917:-

17.6.1917 Battn marches to WAILLY to take part in a demonstration with Tanks before 400 spectators from Seven Corps, amongst whom was Lt.-Col. H. P. G. Cochran (Middx. Rgt.) Cmdg. 15th Cheshire Regt. D. Coy marches to BLAIRVILLE to represent the Battn. on Brigade parade at Distribution of Medlas parade by Lt. Gen. T. D'O. SNOW Comdg VII Corps. Recipients:- No. 10616 C.S.M. BANBRIDGE Distinguished Conduct Medal. No. 15316 Pte Penny, 42333 Pte Webb, 33984 Pte Callow, 10444 Cpl Reid and 9961 Pte Wallington Military Medals. D Coy joins Battn for tank scheme. Weather very hot. Battn returns at 7pm.

[C.S.M. Banbridge's D.C.M. was for consistent gallantry, devotion to duty and good work, not for any specific action, which might have given a clue to action, or actions, leading to the award of the M.Ms.]

Many thanks for the info.

I will now have to look through the war diaries to see if he has a mention, I guess possibly that going by the date it was gazetted, that it may possibly have been an award for Arras.

Cheers

Stuart

11 Military Medal Ribbons were presented to members of 1st Middlesex on 29th April 1917. I believe that Pte Wallington was one of these, along with These immediate awards were for the actions on 23/24 April against the Hindenburg Line

I think I have identified 10 of these 11 men -

10444 Corporal C E Read
10548 Serjeant W Curson
12522 Serjeant F G Saunders
10232 Private G Cox
15316 Private C J Penney
50967 Lance Corporal S Whetstone
33942 Private F Kilgallon
16438 Private W Taylor
9488 Private A Divers
9961 Private D J Wallington

The schedule numbers on the MM Cards for these men form a continuous block (85289-85299), in other instances where a continuous block of schedule numbers is used I have found that the MM has been awarded for the same action so I believe that should be the case here too. The awards to these men were announced in the London Gazette on either the 18/6/17 or 09/07/17, with the exception of Cpl Read's which was not announced until 18/6/19

You may be able to track down a citation for one of these other men by searching local newspapers.

The April pages of the Middlesex War Diary are awfully feint and are very hard to read but it appears these men held an advanced post during the attack. I have a copy, pm me if you want me to email.

Many thanks for the link Drew

Cheers

Stuart

WalkEric, Many thanks for the excellent info, I have sent you a P.M

Cheers

Stuart

• 2 months later...

HI Stuart

Sorry only just picked up your post. It may be of interest to you that Pte Wallington's MM and 1914/15 star trio rests in my collection.

regards

Paul

Hi Stu

Sorry no picture. Which War Memorial are you researching?

regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

The memorial is located in St. Michael's and All Saints church, Chase Side, Enfield.

Cheers

Stuart