The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auxiliary Patrol Zones

little bob

The Auxiliary Patrol Areas varied throughout the war, reaching a maximum in 1917. At the same time the nominal parent ships/depot ships for boats of the Auxiliary Patrol operating in those areas were frequently changing. So, no straightforward answer that would cover 1914-1919.

Little Bob, welcome to the forum, but that's a highly wide-ranging and complex question you have posted - you could try researching the Auxiliary Patrol Service, red lists - but its not possible to provide you with an adequate reply that wouldn't run into several volumes. Maybe you want to be a bit more specific about what information you are actually seeking in order to give people a better chance of answering.

Michael

For snapshot follow this link and scroll down to the bottom " NUMBERS OF AVAILABLE VESSEL TYPES IN AUXILIARY PATROL AREAS" but be aware that the parent ships listed for each area did not, in most case, apply right through the war and the areas were often combined.

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritishShips-Locations6Dist.htm

Edited by horatio2

Thank you all for your input, the map posted by TeeCeeCee is very helpful. Starting with my home town, Milford Haven, area XV. H.M.S.Sabrina and H.M.S Idaho. The other areas which would be of interest to me would be are XVI, XVII, XVIII, XIX, XX, XXI. There seems to be a lot of Information regarding the North Sea and the Dover Patrol but not so much about the war in the west.

Bob.

There is a good introduction to Auxiliary Patrol areas in 'British Warships 1914-1919' by Dittmar and Colledge (1972).

It also provides some information on the numbers involved in each area on a yearly basis.

For example Area XV (Milford Haven) had the following counts

1 Jan 1915: 1 Yacht, 11 Trawlers, 8 Drifters, 4 motor boats

1 Jan 1917: 3 Yachts, 36 Trawlers, 100 Drifters, 12 Motor launches, 4 Boom defence vessels.

1 Jan 1918: 3 Yachts, 47 Trawlers, 61 drifters, 8 Motor launches, 4 Boom defence vessels.

best wishes

ernest james

Ernest

Many thanks for that information, will keep an eye out for a copy.

Bob

The information is given the link (which I inadvertently omitted - now added) in my Post #4.