Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7Bn North Staffordshire Regt 39 Bde 13th Div

stevenbecker

Mates,

I wonder if you have any details on the death of this officer?

This is what I have?

HAYNES Albert 7 Sig/Sgt 3Bn HQ to T/SM 2 LH Sig Troop (547) 3-15 prom 2/Lt 3Bn (also shown 7Bn) 6-8-15 (G) disch to British Army 2/Lt 7Bn North Staffordshire Regt 39 Bde 13th Div (G) to Capt Mesoptamia died at 23 BSH Baghdad buried Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery Iraq

(British & Boer War North Staffordshire Regt 16 years to Div Sig Co's RE 2 years) (A&I Staff PMF 15 months)

A&I Staff Soldier age 38 from Sydney NSW

Enlisted 17-8-14 disch 6-8-15 to British Army (DoD or other) 20-7-17

Cheers

S.B

Steve,

If nobody beats me to it will take a look at the battalion's history when I get home this evening to see if there is any reference.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Steve,

I can find no mention of 2/Lt Albert Haynes in the battalion history for the 7th North Staffords. I wonder if he was attached to another regiment at the time? I know that my great grandfather was attached to the 7th Gloucesters from the 7th North Staffords when he was killed in 1916.

I note that the CWGC give his rank as Captain.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Mate,

Yes all my findings so far show him with the 7Bn NSR (AIF service file and CWGS).

So was he with another unit, I don't know?

Yes he is shown as Capt when he died but that's as far as I can find, not what he died from?

I was thinking it maybe illness, since that was common in Iraq, but it does seam strange he was not mentioned in his Bn records as he had been with them since Gallipoli?

Guess we may never know?

Not being able to check his MIC

Medal card of Haynes, Albert Corps Regiment No Rank Australian Imperial Force 547 Warrant Officer Class 2 North Staffordshire Regiment Captain

Cheers

S.B

Steve,

SDGW states "Died" so I suppose that it is possible that he died of illness. I don't know if you have seen the National Probate Calendar on ancestry, but the entry for Albert Haynes reads as follows:

HAYNES Albert of 70 Rumbold-street Rochdale died 20 July 1917 at Bagdad Administration London 21 March to Mary Haynes widow. Effects £277 17s. 8d

(The punctuation is as shown in the document.)

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Kev,

Thanks mate.

Its still not clear what he was doing at the time of his death.

As stated he was not mentioned in the 7 NSR War diary, which for an officer such as a Captain seams strange?

Its possible he was on staff when he died, which why he was not mentioned in the 7 NSR diary?

Cheers

S.B