Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Anthony Guy Tavanyar, Corporal Hussars.

midshipmanrayley

Edward Anthony Guy Tavanyar 1894-1966 was born in Aldershot and died in Australia.

He served as Corporal 2833 Hussars but unsure which regiment.

His grandfather was James Champion V.C. Who won his medal during the Indian Mutiny serving with the 8th Hussars.

I wondered if his grandson followed him into his old regiment?

Can any member please help as cannot find attestation document.

7th - 9th 14 Star Roll shows Pte.

BMW V Medal Roll shows Cpl. 8th Hussars and still serving.

From MIC:

Name: Edward A Tavanyar

Regiment or Corps: 8th Hussars (The King's Royal Irish)

Regimental Number: 2833

Theatre of War first served in: -

Date of entry therein: 11.11.14

JP

That's great JP. Followed Grandfather into the 8th Hussars.

Thanks Johnboy.

Estimate Edward attested July/August 1908 from his service number. Although he would of only been 14 at the time?

post-107183-0-74058400-1439308443_thumb.

From LLT

8th (King's Royal Irish) Hussars
August 1914 : in Ambala in India, part of the Ambala Cavalry Brigade.
Moved with Brigade to France as part of 1st Indian Cavalry Division, landed Marseilles 10 November 1914.
15 September 1915 : transferred with brigade to 2nd Indian Cavalry Division.
26 November 1916 : 2nd Indian Cavalry Division renamed as 5th Cavalry Division.
February 1918 : Division broken up; regiment transferred on 10 September 1918 to 9th Cavalry Brigade in 1st Cavalry Division.

If he enlisted as you think, 1908, are any records of his service in India likely to be available?

1911 Census:

Name: Edward Tavanyar

Condition as to Marriage: Single

Unit or Arm of Service: viii (K.R.I) Hussars

Birthplace: Hants, Aldershot

ED, institution, or vessel: India

JP

Thanks again JP and Johnboy.

Regimental museum at Eastbourne and I believe his Grandfather's Victoria Cross is also there.

I will try and contact them to discover what records they have regarding overseas service in India.

It spent the rest of the 19th century in England and Ireland, from where it sailed to the Boer War in 1900. Another term in India followed from 1909 to 1914.

It spent the First World War on the Western Front and made its last mounted charge in 1917. In 1919 it was posted to the new nation of Iraq and to Germany in 1926,

There is a very good regimental history (in 2 volumes) which takes the regiment from formation to the mid-20's. Original copies are ruinously expensive (sadly, and Mrs B knows, more's the pity), but it is available as a Naval & Military Press reprint.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/history-of-the-viii-king-s-royal-irish-hussars-1693-1927.html

Thanks Steven.

Checked out County library database and sadly no copy shown. Will speak to head librarian tomorrow, she might be able to advise.

I'm working from memory here, but I believe it was published in a very limited print run. I saw a copy in Hay on Wye about 4 years ago and decided not to invest. One of several decisions over the years which I have come to regret.

On the 1911 census he was actually at Campbell Barracks, Dilkusha, Lucknow, India, aged 18.

However, the Edward Tavanyar, born Aldershot, who is on the 1901 census was only aged 6, so he managed to gain 12 years in the intervening decade! He was living at 73 High Street, Portsmouth. His birth was recorded in the July to September 1894 quarter.

The 8th Hussars were based in Norwich for a few years from 1889 and seemed to have been a very popular regiment, with men and officers marrying into the local community and the local press bemoaning the impact on the city's social life when they were posted away.

Edited by PRC

Thanks again Steven and Martin.

Very interesting PRC. His father was Edward Anthony Tavanyar 1864-1910.