Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards Query

foxypc

Hi Craig,

I'm sure OP would like to know whether he was 4th (Reserve) pre 12.8.1915 or 4th (Pioneer) post 12.8.1915.

Regards

Steve Y

Hi John,

The record is also available via Ancestry.

20.2.1915 - Attested

17.7.1915 - Posted Pioneer Battalion

15.8.1915 - Arrived overseas

11.6.1918 to 11.9.1918 - Posted to 5th Battalion for time in the UK, following a neck wound received on 6.6.1918

11.9.1918 - Returned overseas. Posted back to 4th Pioneer Battalion

19.1.919 - Returned to England

10[?] .2.1919 - Transferred to Z Reserve

Regards

Chris

EDIT (1): On the attestation form, previous service with the Royal Marines ("purchased 3 months") is declared. The records on FMP probably relate to this.

EDIT (2): A transcribed index on Ancestry gives an enlistment date of 24th July 1911. The record is linked to the source at the National Archives

Went to France with the battalion on mass ; there first entry into theatre

If he was wounded or sick will almost certainly be named in the war diary as the 4th unusually mentions ORs

Don't have access on tablet to war diary but will look if no one looks before

And all you wanted was was he from hull !!!

Thanks to all. He was a Hull City Police Officer joined mid 1914. Went to war and then resumed his career. A photo of him has come to light in Police Unform wearing his medals. The photo owner wanted some background info which has been gratefully received. Thanks again.

Do we get to see the pic please ?

John,

It is worth having a look at his service record. I understand that access to Ancestry is available free of charge at local libraries, I'm not sure about Findmypast though. Both sites do offer free trials. Alternatively for FMP if you follow this topic you can get a months membership for £1. (Cancel the membership before the month ends?). You can also buy pay as you go credits for a relatively small amount. With FMP, where you get the choice of a transcription, or a copy image of the original record, whilst more expensive I'd go with the copy images. Transcriptions don't pick up all the detail in the original records.

If I remember correctly from looking at it this morning, apart from his neck wound he was hospitalised twice in France. About a month for an ankle sprain, and about 10 days for "Rheum". He was also brought up on charges on 3 occasions - 3 days late from returning from leave; making a highly improper remark to an NCO; and 3 days late returning from hospital. The record also shows that having been promoted to the rank of Corporal, he reverted to being a Private at his own request - there was no specific reason given.

Looking more towards the genealogy side, the record gave two addresses, marriage details (spouse, place, date) and the names/DoBs of two children. I suspect that the owner of the photo may already have those though.

Regards

Chris

hello

he is indeed noted on the war diary - send me a PM if you'd like a copy

Ian

hello

he is indeed noted on the war diary - send me a PM if you'd like a copy

Ian