Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wiltshire Regiment photo c1914 ID help required

hackneygurkha

Dear Forum,

Please could anyone assist in identifying any of the men in this photo of what I think is either the 1st or 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regiment in the front line circa Winter 1914/15. I purchased this from a flea market many years ago in London and nothing was written on the reverse, so I have no other leads to assist in identifying them.

Many thanks in advance

F

post-43602-0-27373900-1439119699_thumb.j

Dear Forum,

Please could anyone assist in identifying any of the men in this photo of what I think is either the 1st or 2nd Bn Wiltshire Regiment in the front line circa Winter 1914/15. I purchased this from a flea market many years ago in London and nothing was written on the reverse, so I have no other leads to assist in identifying them.

Many thanks in advance

F

The goat skin Jerkin would suggest Winter 1915. My great uncle was with 2nd Battalion at that time, but I have no photos to compare. Your best bet is the Wardrobe military museum in Salisbury, which does.

Dear Hackney Gurkha (the 10th I believe !!)

I think these are the men of the 1st Battalion, late 1914, or early 1915. If you go to the Regimental Museum website at www.thewardrobe.org.uk and there under RESEARCH/COLLECTION/UNIT/WILT/1st Battalion....time scale 1914 - 1915 you will pick up a number of similar images . I believe these were taken by a Corporal OGILIBY (Who later went on to command the battalion). If that route fails in the COLLECTION under KEYWORDS try the following numbers 35556....35557.....35558.....35559......35560 and you will pick up the same images. I might be wrong but its a good comparison.

Cheers

MAC