Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW I - Belgian seaman honored with the DSC

Freddy

Hello,

I am searching more information about a Belgian Royal Navy Lieutenant (Reserve ?) named F. VAN RYSSELBERGHE (no others info available) who, following WW I Navy List’s, was honored with the Distinguished Service Cross – DSC on the 21 May 1917.

I wondering what was the reason and/or circumstances of this honor ? Or where can I eventually find more info ?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Freddy.

hello and welcome

nothing in the london gazette for this surname sorry

Thank you for reaction.

Yes I knew there was no mention of it in the London Gazette.

But because it is mentionned in the Navy List's of 1917 ... there must be other sources with more details about this sailor.

Does somebody any idea for further search ?

Best regards,

Freddy.

If my understanding is correct, most Belgian officers were serving on minesweepers belonging to the French 6e Escadrille based out of Calais - so perhaps a check on French Naval records might be productive.

Other than that, he may perhaps have been abroad somewhere in the Belgian colonies.

Hopefully you will be able to locate him somewhere, he's obviously an interesting individual.

Michael

Thanks Michael for answer.

Yes this is correct that they served on minesweepers of the French 6e Escadrille (Calais), but in that eventuality how could F. Van Rysselberghe get a British DSC?

Furthermore is name is mentioned in the Navy List dated 21.05.1917...

Freddy.

Hello Freddy,

There were also many British Royal Navy officers who received foreign awards too (e.g. Legion d'Honour), however, this particular medal is normally granted in recognition of "... gallantry during active operations against the enemy at sea". Perhaps French minesweepers were providing special support or assistance for operations involving the Dover Patrol off the coast of France or Belgium and there was a particular incident worthy of recognition (maybe to do with enemy submarines) - who knows (yet)?.

His name in the Navy List is included under the heading 'List of officers of foreign navies on whom the DSC has been conferred' and this includes numerous French and Italian Officers, one Russian and one Belge. This suggests to me that he himself may not have been serving on a Royal Navy ship at the time of the award.

However, because he was a Lieutenant, I'm guessing that he wasn't one of the many Belgium skippers of trawlers involved with the British Fishing Reserve, some of whom were also awarded gallantry decorations.

I'll keep searching, but the only likely F. Van Rysellberghe I've so far come across during the appropriate time period was an expert maritime witness in a legal case involving a ship collision in the Scheldt in 1930 (it might possibly be the same person).

Anyway, if you solve the mystery first, please let us know on the forum.

Michael

Hello Michael,

I can you confirm now that " the only likely F. Van Rysellberghe I've so far come across during the appropriate time period was an expert maritime witness in a legal case involving a ship collision in the Scheldt in 1930 " is the man I was looking for.

I found that François VAN RYSSELBERGHE was born in Ostend in 1870, was captain in the M.M. and served 44 month in the Royal Navy as boarding officer in the North Sea and Channel during W.W.I. Was lather Maritime expert.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Freddy.